bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@gmail.com>
To: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com>
Cc: "Magnus Karlsson" <magnus.karlsson@intel.com>,
	"Björn Töpel" <bjorn.topel@intel.com>,
	"Daniel Borkmann" <daniel@iogearbox.net>,
	"Network Development" <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	bpf@vger.kernel.org,
	"Jakub Kicinski" <jakub.kicinski@netronome.com>,
	"Jonathan Lemon" <bsd@fb.com>,
	"Maciej Fijalkowski" <maciejromanfijalkowski@gmail.com>,
	"Samudrala, Sridhar" <sridhar.samudrala@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/7] busy poll support for AF_XDP sockets
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 14:37:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 2:10 PM Magnus Karlsson
<magnus.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM Alexei Starovoitov
> <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 01:51:45PM +0200, Magnus Karlsson wrote:

> > > When using ordinary poll() on an AF_XDP socket, the application will
> > > run on one core and the driver processing will run on another in
> > > softirq/ksoftirqd context. (Either due to explicit core and irq
> > > pinning or due to the scheduler or irqbalance moving the two threads
> > > apart.) In AF_XDP busy-poll mode of this RFC, I would like the
> > > application and the driver processing to occur on a single core, thus
> > > there is no "extra" driver core involved that need to be taken into
> > > account when sizing and/or provisioning the system. The napi context
> > > is in this mode invoked from syscall context when executing the poll
> > > syscall from the application.
> > >
> > > Executing the app and the driver on the same core could of course be
> > > accomplished already today by pinning the application and the driver
> > > interrupt to the same core, but that would not be that efficient due
> > > to context switching between the two.
> >
> > Have you benchmarked it?
> > I don't think context switch will be that noticable when kpti is off.
> > napi processes 64 packets descriptors and switches back to user to
> > do payload processing of these packets.
> > I would think that the same job is on two different cores would be
> > a bit more performant with user code consuming close to 100%
> > and softirq is single digit %. Say it's 10%.
> > I believe combining the two on single core is not 100 + 10 since
> > there is no cache bouncing. So Mpps from two cores setup will
> > reduce by 2-3% instead of 10%.
> > There is a cost of going to sleep and being woken up from poll(),
> > but 64 packets is probably large enough number to amortize.
> > If not, have you tried to bump napi budget to say 256 for af_xdp rx queues?
> > Busy-poll avoids sleep/wakeup overhead and probably can make
> > this scheme work with lower batching (like 64), but fundamentally
> > they're the same thing.
> > I'm not saying that we shouldn't do busy-poll. I'm saying it's
> > complimentary, but in all cases single core per af_xdp rq queue
> > with user thread pinning is preferred.
> >
> > > A more efficient way would be to
> > > call the napi loop from within the poll() syscall when you are inside
> > > the kernel anyway. This is what the classical busy-poll mechanism
> > > operating on AF_INET sockets does. Inside the poll() call, it executes
> > > the napi context of the driver until it finds a packet (if it is rx)
> > > and then returns to the application that then processes the packets. I
> > > would like to adopt something quite similar for AF_XDP sockets. (Some
> > > of the differences can be found at the top of the original post.)
> > >
> > > From an API point of view with busy-poll of AF_XDP sockets, the user
> > > would bind to a queue number and taskset its application to a specific
> > > core and both the app and the driver execution would only occur on
> > > that core. This is in my mind simpler than with regular poll or AF_XDP
> [...]

After a number of surprises and issues in the driver here are now the
first set of results. 64 byte packets at 40Gbit/s line rate. All
results in Mpps. Note that I just used my local system and kernel build
for these numbers so they are not performance tuned. Jesper would
likely get better results on his setup :-). Explanation follows after
the table.

                                      Applications
method  cores  irqs        txpush        rxdrop      l2fwd
r-t-c     2     y           35.9          11.2        8.6
poll      2     y           34.2           9.4        8.3
r-t-c     1     y           18.1           N/A        6.2
poll      1     y           14.6           8.4        5.9
busypoll  2     y           31.9          10.5        7.9
busypoll  1     y           21.5           8.7        6.2
busypoll  1     n           22.0          10.3        7.3

r-t-c = Run-to-completion, the mode where we in Rx uses no syscalls
        and only spin on the pointers in the ring.
poll = Use the regular syscall poll()
busypoll = Use the regular syscall poll() in busy-poll mode. The RFC I
           sent out.

cores == 2 means that softirq/ksoftirqd is one a different core from
           the application. 2 cores are consumed in total.
cores == 1 means that both softirq/ksoftirqd and the application runs
           on the same core. Only 1 core is used in total.

irqs == 'y' is the normal case. irqs == 'n' means that I have created a
        new napi context with the AF_XDP queues inside that does not
        have any interrupts associated with it. No other traffic goes
        to this napi context.

N/A = This combination does not make sense since the application will
      not yield due to run-to-completion without any syscalls
      whatsoever. It works, but it crawls in the 30 Kpps
      range. Creating huge rings would help, but did not do that.

The applications are the ones from the xdpsock sample application in
samples/bpf/.

Some things I had to do to get these results:

* The current buffer allocation scheme in i40e where we continuously
  try to access the fill queue until we find some entries, is not
  effective if we are on a single core. Instead, we try once and call
  a function that sets a flag. This flag is then checked in the xsk
  poll code, and if it is set we schedule napi so that it can try to
  allocate some buffers from the fill ring again. Note that this flag
  has to propagate all the way to user space so that the application
  knows that it has to call poll(). I currently set a flag in the Rx
  ring to indicate that the application should call poll() to resume
  the driver. This is similar to what the io_uring in the storage
  subsystem does. It is not enough to return POLLERR from poll() as
  that will only work for the case when we are using poll(). But I do
  that as well.

* Implemented Sridhar's suggestion on adding busy_loop_end callbacks
  that terminate the busy poll loop if the Rx queue is empty or the Tx
  queue is full.

* There is a race in the setup code in i40e when it is used with
  busy-poll. The fact that busy-poll calls the napi_busy_loop code
  before interrupts have been registered and enabled seems to trigger
  some bug where nothing gets transmitted. This only happens for
  busy-poll. Poll and run-to-completion only enters the napi loop of
  i40e by interrupts and only then after interrupts have been enabled,
  which is the last thing that is done after setup. I have just worked
  around it by introducing a sleep(1) in the application for these
  experiments. Ugly, but should not impact the numbers, I believe.

* The 1 core case is sensitive to the amount of work done reported
  from the driver. This was not correct in the XDP code of i40e and
  let to bad performance. Now it reports the correct values for
  Rx. Note that i40e does not honor the napi budget on Tx and sets
  that to 256, and these are not reported back to the napi
  library.

Some observations:

* Cannot really explain the drop in performance for txpush when going
  from 2 cores to 1. As stated before, the reporting of Tx work is not
  really propagated to the napi infrastructure. Tried reporting this
  in a correct manner (completely ignoring Rx for this experiment) but
  the results were the same. Will dig deeper into this to screen out
  any stupid mistakes.

* With the fixes above, all my driver processing is in softirq for 1
  core. It never goes over to ksoftirqd. Previously when work was
  reported incorrectly, this was the case. I would have liked
  ksoftirqd to take over as that would have been more like a separate
  thread. How to accomplish this? There might still be some reporting
  problem in the driver that hinders this, but actually think it is
  more correct now.

* Looking at the current results for a single core, busy poll provides
  a 40% boost for Tx but only 5% for Rx. But if I instead create a
  napi context without any interrupt associated with it and drive that
  from busy-poll, I get a 15% - 20% performance improvement for Rx. Tx
  increases only marginally from the 40% improvement as there are few
  interrupts on Tx due to the completion interrupt bit being set quite
  infrequently. One question I have is: what am I breaking by creating
  a napi context not used by anyone else, only AF_XDP, that does not
  have an interrupt associated with it?

Todo:

* Explain the drop in Tx push when going from 2 cores to 1.

* Really run a separate thread for kernel processing instead of softirq.

* What other experiments would you like to see?

/Magnus