bpf.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence@redhat.com>
To: shuah <shuah@kernel.org>,
	Yauheni Kaliuta <yauheni.kaliuta@redhat.com>,
	Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@socionext.com>
Cc: linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org, bpf@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kselftest OOT run_tests
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 16:40:06 -0400	[thread overview]

On 5/26/20 1:13 PM, shuah wrote:
> On 5/25/20 7:55 AM, Yauheni Kaliuta wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm wondering how out of tree check is supposed to work for make
>> O=dir run_tests from selftests (or make -C ...) directory?
>>
>> (both with 051f278e9d81 ("kbuild: replace KBUILD_SRCTREE with
>> boolean building_out_of_srctree") and without)
>>
>> make M= ... does not work with run_tests.
>>

> Kselftests run_tests target isn't intended for building and running
> tests OOT. Also make M= doesn't make sense for them.
>
> There is no support to build OOT at the moment. I would like to get
> a better understanding of your use-case. Can you elaborate?

Hey Yauheni, can you CC me on the use-case explanation?

We currently do something really silly for the livepatch selftests on
RHEL-7 for CKI that requires building them as pseudo OOT... in our case,
we'd like to just be able to do something like make modules_prepare &&
make M= lib/livepatch, so perhaps a bit different... but I'd be curious
for which problem you're currently trying to solve.

Regards,

-- Joe