c-std-porting.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@inai.de>
To: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@gmail.com>
Cc: Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>,
	oS-fctry <factory@lists.opensuse.org>,
	 c-std-porting@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: More C errors by default in GCC 14 (implicit function declarations etc.)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:42:57 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

On Tuesday 2023-04-18 15:19, Neal Gompa wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 8:36 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> TL;DR: I want to propose a GCC 14 change which will impact
>> distributions, so I'd like to gather some feedback from OpenSUSE.
>>
>> Specifically, I'm investigating the following changes:
>>
>> * -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
>> * -Werror=implict-int
>> * (tentative) -Werror=int-conversion
>> * (very tentative) -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types
>> * For -Wdiscarded-qualifies
>>
>> I want to propose at least the first two for GCC 14.

Might as well enable all of it at once, then the community only needs
one pass per defective software.

>> The numbers so far don't look great, but are manageable.  Fedora has
>> 23,101 source package last time a looked.  We have fixed 796 of them,

3.8% is actually really great for syntax-related changes,
reproducible-builds (in openSUSE) also has a nay ratio of ~3.4%,
but of course r-b is more difficult to fix I think.

>> I would appreciate some discussion on the OpenSUSE impact.  I assume
>> OpenSUSE does mass rebuilds after GCC rebases, a bit like Fedora?
>
>openSUSE does rebuilds of the whole distribution on a fairly regular
>basis

There is a also staging project (ironically named
openSUSE:Factory:Staging:Gcc7) where a new gcc (not 7) gets to
test-build a sizable portion of the distro before promoting it in
openSUSE:Factory and before causing the super rebuild.