c-std-porting.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: "Zack Weinberg" <zack@owlfolio.org>
To: "Sam James" <sam@gentoo.org>
Cc: "Autoconf Bugs" <bug-autoconf@gnu.org>, c-std-porting@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: Missing <stdlib.h> include in lib/autoconf/c.m4
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:25:53 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022, at 10:18 PM, Sam James wrote:
>> On 5 Nov 2022, at 22:37, Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> I would send a patch for the original issue but I'm wondering how to handle freestanding (see big comment above _AC_C_C89_TEST_GLOBALS).

Yeah, we can't include <stdlib.h> here, but it should be OK to add a manual declaration of free (as I did in bf5a75...) -- there was already a manual declaration of malloc, and free doesn't even need size_t.

>> We need another one (<assert.h>) I think for _Static_assert in _AC_C_C11_TEST_GLOBALS too, up until C23?

I think this should be fine as is; in C11, _Static_assert is a keyword / special form, so it's safe to use without <assert.h>.  IIUC the change in C23 is to make static_assert also available without <assert.h>?

zw