c-std-porting.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Sam James <sam@gentoo.org>
To: Eric Gallager <egall@gwmail.gwu.edu>
Cc: "Jonathan Wakely" <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>,
	joel@rtems.org, "David Edelsohn" <dje.gcc@gmail.com>,
	"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>,
	"Jakub Jelinek" <jakub@redhat.com>,
	"Arsen Arsenović" <arsen@aarsen.me>,
	gcc@gcc.gnu.org, c-std-porting@lists.linux.dev,
	"Neal Gompa" <ngompa13@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: More C type errors by default for GCC 14
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 11:45:41 +0100	[thread overview]

Eric Gallager via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> writes:

> On 5/9/23, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 May 2023 at 23:38, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> We are currently using gcc 12 and specifying C11.  To experiment with
>>> these stricter warnings and slowly address them, would we need to build
>>> with a newer C version?
>>
>> No, the proposed changes are to give errors (instead of warnings) for
>> rules introduced in C99. GCC is just two decades late in enforcing the
>> C99 rules properly!
>>

>>> What practices might the GCC community recommend to a project
>>> wanting to discover the issues uncovered and slowly address them? I
>>
>> -Werror=implicit-int
>> -Werror=implicit-function-declaration
>> -Werror=int-conversion
>>

> Idea for a compromise: What if, instead of flipping the switch on all
> 3 of these at once, we staggered them so that each one becomes a
> default in a separate release? i.e., something like:
>
> - GCC 14: -Werror=implicit-function-declaration gets added to the defaults
> - GCC 15: -Werror=implicit-int gets added to the defaults
> - GCC 16: -Werror=int-conversion gets added to the defaults
>
> That would give people more time to catch up on a particular warning,
> rather than overwhelming them with a whole bunch all at once. Just an
> idea.

I think this might be more frustrating than not, althuogh I appreciate
the intent.

Neal Gompa wasn't keen on the idea at
https://lore.kernel.org/c-std-porting/CAEg-Je8=dQo-jAdu=Od5DH+h9AQzGE_4ghzgx_ow4RyJVPwFTg@mail.gmail.com/
because it'd feel like essentially "repeated punches".

Maybe it'd work with some tweaks: I would, however, be more open to GCC 14 having
implicit-function-declaration,implicit-int (these are so closely related
that it's not worth dividing the two up) and then say, GCC 15 having int-conversion and maybe
incompatible-pointer-types. But spreading it out too much is likely counterproductive.