c-std-porting.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Sam James <sam@gentoo.org>
To: c-std-porting@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Best method to share that something is broken + patches?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 07:48:53 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi all,

We didn't really have a proper chance to discuss how the list mechanics
should work yet,
as we got caught a bit off guard by the LWN (and then Phoronix)
articles.

For me, there's a few big questions:
1. How do we notify others that a package is broken? I feel like we
shouldn't bother if something has very frequent releases, but otherwise, it's probably
going to be worth sharing.

2. How do we share patches for them?

3. How do we minimise noise while doing 1. and 2.?

I'm thinking maybe a shared git repository for the patches (and/or just
links to bug
reports), while we keep the list for discussion of non-trivial issues,
or significant
PSAs (including a major package being broken, especially if it doesn't
get frequent
releases) rather than polluting the ML with some random package which
only a single
distro happens to maintain.

(Of course, we won't be that strict with the rules, so if someone is
unsure or wants help, they're
free to ask on the ML, I just don't want to flood it with a bunch of
obvious patches.)

Thoughts?

Best,
sam