c-std-porting.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, debian-gcc@lists.debian.org,
	 c-std-porting@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: RFC: More C errors by default in GCC 14 (no more implicit function declarations etc.)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:25:19 +0800	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2023-04-18 at 16:07 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

> TL;DR: I want to propose a GCC 14 change which will impact
> distributions, so I'd like to gather some feedback from Debian.

Is this change being made the upstream defaults?

Or will it be a distro override like the hardening flags are?

> I would appreciate some discussion on the Debian impact.

Since most of the Debian archive can be reproducibly built, it seems
like the way to gauge the impact of this change on Debian would be to
do two archive rebuilds, once without the flags and once with the
flags, then compare the two builds for each package using diffoscope.

The reproducible builds fuzzing tests get 96.2% reproducible,
this would only go up when not varying most of the fuzzed things.

https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/reproducible.html

The existing documentation for Debian archive rebuilds is outdated and
deleted, but Lucas Nusbaum and others have been doing them for a while.

https://wiki.debian.org/MassRebuilds
https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/ArchiveTesting?action=recall&rev=23

--
bye,