c-std-porting.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Bernhard Voelker <mail@bernhard-voelker.de>
To: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@gmail.com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>
Cc: oS-fctry <factory@lists.opensuse.org>, c-std-porting@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: More C errors by default in GCC 14 (implicit function declarations etc.)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:42:08 +0200	[thread overview]

On 4/18/23 15:19, Neal Gompa wrote:
>> Do you think OpenSUSE could cope with a transition in GCC 14?
>>
> openSUSE does rebuilds of the whole distribution on a fairly regular
> basis, as reverse dependencies of updated packages get rebuilt
> automatically.

One aspect is that upstream developers are using distros like Fedora and OpenSUSE,
so the first step is to provide GCC14 as alternative GCC version there.
With that, upstream developers have a chance to fix those issues ... upstream.

To put it the other way round:
I don't see that too many packages would get or should be fixed as downstream patches only.
Yet the downstream build environments are of great help as well.

Have a nice day,
Berny