ceph-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: [ceph-users] RocksDB options for HDD, SSD, NVME Mixed productions
       [not found]   ` <CAE-AtHq+6HAiijrM3mVV53qy3_jsAYRV89HjjAkEfc9=j5QmSw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-09-21 17:51     ` Christian Wuerdig
From: Christian Wuerdig @ 2021-09-21 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mhnx; +Cc: Ceph Users, Ceph Development

On Wed, 22 Sept 2021 at 00:54, mhnx <morphinwithyou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. Then the first thing I did wrong I didn't add levels to reach total space. I didn't know that and I've set :
> max_bytes_for_level_base=536870912 and max_bytes_for_level_multiplier=10
> 536870912*10*10=50Gb
>
> I have space on Nvme's. I think I can resize the partitions.
> 1- Set osd down
> 2- Migrate partition to next blocks to be able resize the partition
> 3- Resize DB partition block size to 60GiB * 19HDD =
> 4- Sed osd up
>
> Also the other option is:
> 1- Remove Nvme from raid1
> 2- Migrate half of the partitions on New empty Nvme.
> 3- Resize the partitions
> 4- Resize the rest partitions or re-create the Nvme to get rid of degraded Nvme pool.
>
> It's a lot of hard work and also you said "You need to re-create OSD's for new RocksDB options' killed my dreams.
> Are you sure about this? Why OSD restart have no effect on RocksDB options?
> Do I really need to re-create all 190 HDD's ? Just wow. It will take decades to be done.

No - I'm not 100% sure about this (never tinkered with the settings)
but it would fit the observations (namely that the 512MB level base
which you set doesn't seem to apply). Haven't found any explicit
documentation but in principle RocksDB should support changing these
params on-the-fly but not sure how to get ceph to apply them. Somebody
else would have to chime in to confirm.
Also keep in mind that even with 60GB partition you will still get
spillover since you seem to have around 120-130GB meta data per OSD so
moving to 160GB partitions would seem to be better.

> [...]
>>
>> Interestingly your level base seems to be 512MB instead of the default 256MB - did you change that? In your case the sequence I would have expected is 0.5 -> 5 -> 50 - and you should have already seen spillover at 5GB (since you only have 50GB partitions but you need 55.5GB at least)
>> Not sure what's up with that. I think you need to re-create OSDs after changing these RocksDB params
>>
>> Overall since Pacific this no longer holds entirely true since RocksDB sharding was added (https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/#bluestore-rocksdb-sharding) - it was broken in 16.2.4 but looks like it's fixed in 16.2.6
>>
>> Upgrade to Pacific
>> Get rid of the NVME raid
>> Make 160GB DB partitions
>> Activate RocksDB sharding
>> Don't worry about RocksDB params
>>
>> If you don't feel like upgrading to Pacific any time soon but want to make more efficient use of the NVME and don't mind going out on a limp I'd still do 2+3 plus study https://github-wiki-see.page/m/facebook/rocksdb/wiki/Leveled-Compaction carefully and make adjustments based on that.
>> With 160GB partitions a multiplier of 7 might work well with a base size of 350MB 0.35 -> 2.45 -> 17.15 -> 120.05 (total 140GB out of 160GB)
>>
>> You could also try to switch to a 9x multiplier and re-create one of the OSDs to see how it pans out prior to dissolving the raid1 setup (given your settings that should result in 0.5 -> 4.5 -> 40.5 GB usage)
>>
>> On Tue, 21 Sept 2021 at 13:19, mhnx <morphinwithyou@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone!
>>> I want to understand the concept and tune my rocksDB options on nautilus
>>> 14.2.16.
>>>
>>>      osd.178 spilled over 102 GiB metadata from 'db' device (24 GiB used of
>>> 50 GiB) to slow device
>>>      osd.180 spilled over 91 GiB metadata from 'db' device (33 GiB used of
>>> 50 GiB) to slow device
>>>
>>> The problem is, I have the spill over warnings like the rest of the
>>> community.
>>> I tuned RocksDB Options with the settings below but the problem still
>>> exists and I wonder if I did anything wrong. I still have the Spill Overs
>>> and also some times index SSD's are getting down due to compaction problems
>>> and can not start them until I do offline compaction.
>>>
>>> Let me tell you about my hardware right?
>>> Every server in my system has:
>>> HDD -   19 x TOSHIBA  MG08SCA16TEY   16.0TB for EC pool.
>>> SSD -    3 x SAMSUNG  MZILS960HEHP/007 GXL0 960GB
>>> NVME - 2 x PM1725b 1.6TB
>>>
>>> I'm using Raid 1 Nvme for Bluestore DB. I dont have WAL.
>>> 19*50GB = 950GB total usage on NVME. (I was thinking use the rest but
>>> regret it now)
>>>
>>> So! Finally let's check my RocksDB Options:
>>> bluefs_buffered_io = true
>>> bluestore_rocksdb_options =
>>> compression=kNoCompression,max_write_buffer_number=32,min_write_buffer_number_to_merge=2,recycle_log_file_num=32,compaction_style=kCompactionStyleLevel,write_buffer_size=67108864,target_file_size_base=67108864,max_background_compactions=31,level0_file_num_compaction_trigger=8,level0_slowdown_writes_trigger=32,level0_stop_writes_trigger=64,flusher_threads=8,compaction_readahead_size=2MB,compaction_threads=16,
>>> *max_bytes_for_level_base=536870912*,
>>> *max_bytes_for_level_multiplier=10*
>>>
>>> *"ceph osd df tree"  *to see ssd and hdd usage, omap and meta.

>>> I know the size of NVME is not suitable for 16TB HDD's. I should have more
>>> but the expense is cutting us pieces. Because of that I think I'll see the
>>> spill overs no matter what I do. But maybe I will make it better
>>> with your help!
>>>
>>> *My questions are:*
>>> 1- What is the meaning of (33 GiB used of 50 GiB)
>>> 2- Why it's not 50GiB / 50GiB ?
>>> 3- Do I have 17GiB unused area on the DB partition?
>>> 4- Is there anything wrong with my Rocksdb options?
>>> 5- How can I be sure and find the good Rocksdb Options for Ceph?
>>> 6- How can I measure the change and test it?
>>> 7- Do I need different RocksDB options for HDD's and SSD's ?
>>> 8- If I stop using Nvme Raid1 to gain x2 size and resize the DB's  to
>>> 160GiB. Is it worth to take Nvme faulty? Because I will lose 10HDD at the
>>> same time but I have 10 Node and that's only %5 of the EC data . I use m=8
>>> k=2.
>>>
>>> P.S: There are so many people asking and searching around this. I hope it
>>> will work this time.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-09-21 17:51 UTC | newest]