cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages), rev03
@ 2020-02-12  1:06 Kento Yoshida
From: Kento Yoshida @ 2020-02-12  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello CIP core group members,

I'd formally like to propose to add security packages as revision 3.
I've already the description sheet before, but I'll share all files for this review again in this mail.

Contents:
 proposal_SecurityWG_rev03.yml: the full flat proposal file including all source and binary sets with reason, security tag information and so on
 Requirements_for_proposal_SecurityWG_rev03.xlsx: the same file which I've already sent before to explain the requirement in the standard
 2_src-bin_sort_SecurityWG.txt: the 95 proposed package lists simplified with source and binary names
 2_src-bin_sort_all.txt: the 179 package lists consisted of the 95 lists for this proposal and the 84 lists already approved by CIP core as a minimal base shown in brackets

I'd like to set the due date for reviewing this proposal by February 21, Friday.
It would be very helpful if I can get your feedback, concerning or question in this week due to resolve by the due date.

@kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,
Could you proceed this proposal? Thank you for many cooperation.

Thank you all for considering my request,
Kent

@ 2020-02-14  2:05 ` kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp @ 2020-02-14  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Kent,

Thank you for updating the proposal.

Dear reviewers,

First, please confirm the attachment in Kent's mail, especially
the "Proposal description" sheet in "Requirements_for_proposal_SecurityWG_rev03.xlsx",
which includes "detail description" of top level security packages (18 packages).
After that, we can check more details in .yml file (like dependencies)
based on our agreements about the 18 packages.

Due date: February 21, Friday

I think this duration might be short to check all information in .yml file,
but it's enough to confirm the information in "Proposal description" in .xlsx
or just to start the discussion about them.

Best regards,
Kazu

> Could you proceed this proposal? Thank you for many cooperation.

> Hello CIP core group members,
>
> I'd formally like to propose to add security packages as revision 3.
> I've already the description sheet before, but I'll share all files for this review again in this mail.
>
> Contents:
>  proposal_SecurityWG_rev03.yml: the full flat proposal file including all source and binary sets with reason, security
> tag information and so on
>  Requirements_for_proposal_SecurityWG_rev03.xlsx: the same file which I've already sent before to explain the requirement
> in the standard
>  2_src-bin_sort_SecurityWG.txt: the 95 proposed package lists simplified with source and binary names
>  2_src-bin_sort_all.txt: the 179 package lists consisted of the 95 lists for this proposal and the 84 lists already approved
> by CIP core as a minimal base shown in brackets
>
> I'd like to set the due date for reviewing this proposal by February 21, Friday.
> It would be very helpful if I can get your feedback, concerning or question in this week due to resolve by the due date.
>
> @kazuhiro3.hayashi at toshiba.co.jp,
> Could you proceed this proposal? Thank you for many cooperation.
>
> Thank you all for considering my request,
> Kent

* Re: [cip-dev] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages), rev03
@ 2020-02-21  1:15   ` kazuhiro3.hayashi
From: kazuhiro3.hayashi @ 2020-02-21  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev, kento.yoshida.wz; +Cc: cip-security

Hello all,

We discussed with security WG members yesterday then
decided to SUSPEND this proposal process for a while.

The reasons of the suspending is that CIP (reviewers) need more information
to understand the required security features (and functional relations with the packages).
In order to get the information, we are planning to follow the steps below:

1. CIP Core provides "sample" images including the proposed packages (+ more if required)
   so that CIP members (mainly security WG) can "evaluate" the required security features
   using the actual run-time environment.
2. CIP Security confirm whether the packages can satisfy the security requirements
   (by testing manually or creating test cases), one by one
3. Based on the result in 2, CIP Security refine this package proposal if needed
   and resume the package proposal

CIP Core has started to create the sample image for the evaluation.
This activity will be discussed in another thread.

Best regards,
Kazu

@ 2020-03-09 10:31 ` Punit Agrawal
From: Punit Agrawal @ 2020-03-09 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kento Yoshida; +Cc: cip-security, cip-dev

Hi,

As mentioned earlier, I had some questions / queries regarding the
requirements for the proposed packages. Sending them here for
discussion.

Kento Yoshida <kento.yoshida.wz@renesas.com> writes:

>  Requirements_for_proposal_SecurityWG_rev03.xlsx: the same file which I've already sent before to explain the requirement in the standard

* sudo-ldap

Is there a specific requirement to include sudo-ldap in favour of plain
sudo? IIUC, sudo is a minimal dependency version while ldap requires
additional packages to be available.

* openssh

Based on the listed requierments, it is not clear why ftp and ssh
clients are needed. Can you please clarify the requirements' text to
motivate inclusion of the client binaries as well.

* pam-pkcs11

From my understanding, the package enables login  using public / private
keys. But the requirements talk about enforcing the strength of
passwords -

    "A minimum strength of used passwords needs to be enforced."

Possibly a mixup of package and requirements?

* tpm2*

I think libtss2-esys0 is mistakenly included as explicit requirement. It
seems to be a dependency of tpm2-abrmd and will get pulled in
automatically as per my understanding.

* uuid-runtime

It’s not clear how the package is related to the requirement -

    "Account Identifier shall be unique on a component or system wide
    level. Protection of relevant information in rest and transit shall
    be supported."

Can you add more details to the requirement to clarify this?
---

Thanks,
Punit

* Re: [cip-dev] Package Proposal #1 (Security packages), rev03
@ 2020-03-12  4:13   ` Kento Yoshida
From: Kento Yoshida @ 2020-03-12  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Punit Agrawal; +Cc: cip-security, cip-dev

Thank you for your comments, Punit.

I'll reply to your queries, see the followings.

>* sudo-ldap
>
>Is there a specific requirement to include sudo-ldap in favour of plain sudo? IIUC,
>sudo is a minimal dependency version while ldap requires additional packages to
>be available.

We considered and decided to adopt only sudo binary. As the result, sudo source code includes both sudo and sudo-ldap binaries, but we only need sudo.
LDAP is just example in the requirement and will be needed only specific case. At least, nobody in security working group members want that.

>* openssh
>
>Based on the listed requierments, it is not clear why ftp and ssh clients are needed.
>Can you please clarify the requirements' text to motivate inclusion of the client
>binaries as well.

SSH client is needed as just a run-time dependency for SSH server.

>* pam-pkcs11
>
>From my understanding, the package enables login  using public / private keys.
>But the requirements talk about enforcing the strength of passwords -
>
>    "A minimum strength of used passwords needs to be enforced."
>
>Possibly a mixup of package and requirements?

Indeed, the package functionality and the requirement do not match.
In addition, pam-pkcs11 is only required for CR 1.7, it's mean "A minimum strength of used passwords needs to be enforced.", so we should consider again whether we need pam-pkcs11 or not.
Thank you for pointing out this.

>* tpm2*
>
>I think libtss2-esys0 is mistakenly included as explicit requirement. It seems to be a
>dependency of tpm2-abrmd and will get pulled in automatically as per my
>understanding.

Yes. libtss2-esys0 is a dependency tpm2-abrmd and tpm2-tools.
But, it is not just a mistake. The TSS and TCTI libraries located in libtss2-esys0 is important to meet the requirement shown in the description for tpm2*.
So, I expressly include libtss2-esys0 as a required binary not just a dependency.

>* uuid-runtime
>
>It’s not clear how the package is related to the requirement -
>
>    "Account Identifier shall be unique on a component or system wide
>    level. Protection of relevant information in rest and transit shall
>    be supported."
>
>Can you add more details to the requirement to clarify this?

As is, identifier shall be unique, so we need universally unique identifier generator.
Sorry but I don't know what you don't know. This is very simple requirement.

@ 2020-03-12  9:07     ` Punit Agrawal
From: Punit Agrawal @ 2020-03-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kento Yoshida; +Cc: cip-security, cip-dev

Hi Yoshida-san,

Thanks for the clarifications. Where applicable please include them in
the requirements text and / or comments for the relevant packages for
the next update.

One additional comment below -

Kento Yoshida <kento.yoshida.wz@renesas.com> writes:

[...]

>>* uuid-runtime
>>
>>It’s not clear how the package is related to the requirement -
>>
>>    "Account Identifier shall be unique on a component or system wide
>>    level. Protection of relevant information in rest and transit shall
>>    be supported."
>>
>>Can you add more details to the requirement to clarify this?
>>
> As is, identifier shall be unique, so we need universally unique identifier generator.
> Sorry but I don't know what you don't know. This is very simple
> requirement.

I understand the requirement for having ’unique account identifier’
(usernames) but using uuidgen to achieve this seems quite impractical.

For reference, I checked the output of uuidgen included in the package -

    $ uuidgen
    b865c278-4230-4d5a-b7de-0ee528910095

It generates a 37 character long string of what seems like random hex
values. Are you recommending that we have these kind of strings for
usernames?

Thanks,
Punit