Coccinelle archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring@web.de>
To: Coccinelle <cocci@systeme.lip6.fr>
Subject: Re: [Cocci] Data exchange over network interfaces by SmPL scripts
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 13:13:32 +0200

> Unfortunately, I observed during a few runs on my test system
> that the displayed record sets can vary. Thus I guess that this approach
> (which works together with Python multi-threading functionality) will need
> further software adjustments.

I stumbled on general software development challenges from inter-process
communication over TCP connections.
This programming interface supports reliable data transmissions.
But the POSIX API does not directly support so far to determine how many
of the sent data are still on the way for delivery to the receiving process.

* Operating systems can provide additional functions for this purpose.
  I find then that Linux APIs could be improved for more efficient analysis
  of network connections.

* Network protocols influence also corresponding data processing approaches.

  + Customised network communication is not needed if you can depend on
    system functionality by databases.

  + If you would occasionally like to experiment with related services,
    the application of the technology “Common Object Request Broker Architecture”
    can be another interesting design option.
    Example:
    http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Markus