cocci.inria.fr archive mirror
* Re: [Cocci] Coccinelle: Checking the deletion of duplicate of_node_put() calls with SmPL
       [not found] <1562566745-7447-2-git-send-email-wen.yang99@zte.com.cn>
@ 2019-07-09 12:14 ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2019-07-09 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wen Yang, Julia Lawall, Coccinelle
  Cc: Yi Wang, Herbert Xu, Greg Kroah-Hartman, LKML, Armijn Hemel,
	linux-crypto, Xue Zhihong, Cheng Shengyu, Thomas Gleixner,
	David S. Miller, Allison Randal

> 110:	ierr_out:

> 111:		of_node_put(trng);  ---> double released here

> This issue was detected by using the Coccinelle software.

Such a detection of a questionable source code place can be nice and helpful.

I constructed another script variant for the semantic patch language.

@deletion@
expression x;
identifier target;
@@
 of_node_put(x);
 if (...)
    goto target;
 ... when any
 target:
-of_node_put(x);

I observe then that this adjustment approach can generate the desired patch
for a source code extract.

elfring@Sonne:~/Projekte/Coccinelle/Probe> spatch ../janitor/delete_duplicate_of_node_put1.cocci crypto4xx_trng-excerpt1.c

…
-	of_node_put(trng);

…

But I wonder at the moment why it does not work (as expected) for the original
complete source file.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/crypto/amcc/crypto4xx_trng.c?id=5ad18b2e60b75c7297a998dea702451d33a052ed#n71
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.2/source/drivers/crypto/amcc/crypto4xx_trng.c#L71

I am curious on further software development ideas.

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [Cocci] Coccinelle: Checking the deletion of duplicate of_node_put() calls with SmPL
@ 2019-07-10  5:55   ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2019-07-10  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wen Yang, Julia Lawall, Coccinelle
  Cc: Yi Wang, Herbert Xu, Greg Kroah-Hartman, LKML, Armijn Hemel,
	linux-crypto, Xue Zhihong, Cheng Shengyu, Thomas Gleixner,
	David S. Miller, Allison Randal

> But I wonder at the moment why it does not work (as expected) for the original
> complete source file.

I discovered that a diff hunk (or usable patch?) is generated
if the return statement is deleted (or commented out) before the jump label
which refers to a potentially unwanted function call at the mentioned place.
How will the support evolve for automatic adjustment of such source code
combinations by the semantic patch language (Coccinelle software)?

Regards,
Markus