cocci.inria.fr archive mirror
* [Cocci] matching concatenated preprocessor tokens
@ 2019-01-23  3:22 Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2019-01-23  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Hi,

I am trying to match a construct such as

#define func(a,b,c) \
     some_call(a##b, c, NULL)

to replace it with, for example,

#define func(a,b,c) \
    some_other_call(a##b, c)

Is this possible with coccinelle ?
I tried several variants, but I don't seem to be able to match "a##b".

Thanks,
Guenter

* Re: [Cocci] matching concatenated preprocessor tokens
@ 2019-01-23  6:35 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2019-01-23  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck; +Cc: cocci

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to match a construct such as
>
> #define func(a,b,c) \
>     some_call(a##b, c, NULL)
>
> to replace it with, for example,
>
> #define func(a,b,c) \
>    some_other_call(a##b, c)
>
> Is this possible with coccinelle ?
> I tried several variants, but I don't seem to be able to match "a##b".

I doubt that ## is supported in the matching language.  I will add it.

julia

@ 2019-01-23 14:11   ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2019-01-23 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: cocci

Hi Julia,

On 1/22/19 10:35 PM, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to match a construct such as
>>
>> #define func(a,b,c) \
>>      some_call(a##b, c, NULL)
>>
>> to replace it with, for example,
>>
>> #define func(a,b,c) \
>>     some_other_call(a##b, c)
>>
>> Is this possible with coccinelle ?
>> I tried several variants, but I don't seem to be able to match "a##b".
>
> I doubt that ## is supported in the matching language.  I will add it.

All I was able to find about the subject was in the Coccinelle change log:

20.4 Internals:
"reorganize the way we parse C identifiers, especially concatenated cpp
  identifiers as in a##b. This may lead to some regressions as we may not
  parse as much code as before."

@ 2019-01-23 14:41     ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2019-01-23 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Roeck; +Cc: cocci

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> Hi Julia,
>
> On 1/22/19 10:35 PM, Julia Lawall wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2019, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to match a construct such as
> > >
> > > #define func(a,b,c) \
> > >      some_call(a##b, c, NULL)
> > >
> > > to replace it with, for example,
> > >
> > > #define func(a,b,c) \
> > >     some_other_call(a##b, c)
> > >
> > > Is this possible with coccinelle ?
> > > I tried several variants, but I don't seem to be able to match "a##b".
> >
> > I doubt that ## is supported in the matching language.  I will add it.
> >

> All I was able to find about the subject was in the Coccinelle change log:
>
> 20.4 Internals:
> "reorganize the way we parse C identifiers, especially concatenated cpp
>  identifiers as in a##b. This may lead to some regressions as we may not
>  parse as much code as before."

Yeah, it's supported on the C side, but not on the pattern matching side.
I'm working on that.

julia

* Re: [Cocci] matching concatenated preprocessor tokens
@ 2019-01-23 17:49       ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2019-01-23 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: cocci

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 03:41:24PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>
> > Hi Julia,

> > > I doubt that ## is supported in the matching language.  I will add it.
> > >

> > All I was able to find about the subject was in the Coccinelle change log:
> >
> > 20.4 Internals:
> > "reorganize the way we parse C identifiers, especially concatenated cpp
> >  identifiers as in a##b. This may lead to some regressions as we may not
> >  parse as much code as before."
>
> Yeah, it's supported on the C side, but not on the pattern matching side.
> I'm working on that.

Thanks!

Guenter