Coccinelle Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org>
To: cocci@systeme.lip6.fr
Subject: [Cocci] qualified function rule
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 15:23:25 -0500

I don't understand how, if it's possible, to qualify a function in a
rule.  I want the class of all functions having a parameter of a
particular type.

The code I'm working with has hundreds of unnecessary casts.  Many
functions take a void* parameter, but are nonetheless called by casting
the parameter.  For example, the parameters to memcpy(3) often
have casts applied.

I imagine writing a rule like

@@
type T, D;
identifier F(void*);
identifier D * data;
@@

- F((T*)data)
+ F(data)

but that doesn't work, and I haven't found anything that does.

In the kmalloc examples, I see things like

- \(kmalloc|kcmalloc\)(...)
+ mumble something

but that forces me to enumerate all such function names. It seems
vaguely like positions would do the trick, but, well, vaguely.

Is there a way?

--jkl