Coccinelle archive on lore.kernel.org
From: "Ondřej Surý" <ondrej@sury.org>
To: cocci@systeme.lip6.fr
Subject: [Cocci] Detecting functions with dummy return value
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 09:52:11 -0500

Hi,

we changed our allocator (wrapper) function to assert() instead of returning ISC_R_MEMORY.

As you can imagine there’s a lot of checks down the road that needs to be cleaned up,
so I am looking for a way to detect function that only does:

isc_result_t
foo(…) {

…
return (ISC_R_SUCCESS);
}

it could possibly be:

isc_result_t
foo(…) {
…
return (ISC_R_SUCCESS);
…
return (ISC_R_SUCCESS);
}

Looking at badcheck.cocci, it looks like I just need a block that would „match“ such functions,
but I can’t find a solid example on how to write a patch that would express:

Mark functions that just return ISC_R_SUCCESS and nothing else:

Something like this:

@match_rule@
expression E;
@@

<+... when != E != ISC_R_SUCCESS;
return (E);
...+>

@depends on match_rule@
@@

- return(...);
+ return;

But that doesn’t work for me, it matches all return()s.

Thanks,
Ondrej