cocci.inria.fr archive mirror
* [Cocci] Missing package for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?
@ 2021-02-09 14:57 Taylor Blau
From: Taylor Blau @ 2021-02-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Hi,

The Git project recently noticed that our static analysis builds were
failing after upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 due to being unable to find the
coccinelle package in the focal suite.

    https://lore.kernel.org/git/YCGrmsg8J7XT32TM@nand.local/

Searching for coccinelle [1] turns up hits in the xenial, bionic, and
groovy suites, but not the focal ones. This appears to have been
discussed on this list a couple of times without any conclusion.

Is there a planned release of coccinelle that will appear in the focal
suite?

Thanks,
Taylor

[1]: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=coccinelle
[2]: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/c/coccinelle/

* Re: [Cocci] Missing package for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?
@ 2021-02-12 14:06 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2021-02-12 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau; +Cc: cocci

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, Taylor Blau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Git project recently noticed that our static analysis builds were
> failing after upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 due to being unable to find the
> coccinelle package in the focal suite.
>
>     https://lore.kernel.org/git/YCGrmsg8J7XT32TM@nand.local/
>
> Searching for coccinelle [1] turns up hits in the xenial, bionic, and
> groovy suites, but not the focal ones. This appears to have been
> discussed on this list a couple of times without any conclusion.
>
> Is there a planned release of coccinelle that will appear in the focal
> suite?

Can you use the PPA?

https://launchpad.net/~npalix/+archive/ubuntu/coccinelle

julia

@ 2021-02-13 21:23   ` Taylor Blau
From: Taylor Blau @ 2021-02-13 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: cocci

Hi Julia,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 03:06:16PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > Is there a planned release of coccinelle that will appear in the focal
> > suite?
>
> Can you use the PPA?
>
> https://launchpad.net/~npalix/+archive/ubuntu/coccinelle

Yes, we could. But it's an extra step that all users of Ubuntu Focal
will have to take. Note that 20.04 is the image that all users of
GitHub Actions' "runs-on: ubuntu-latest" get, so anybody in that group
who wants to use coccinelle will have to configure and install from the
PPA.

Is there a reason that 20.04 was skipped when preparing a release for
the official suites?

Thanks,
Taylor

* Re: [Cocci] Missing package for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?
@ 2021-02-13 21:38     ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2021-02-13 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau; +Cc: cocci

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021, Taylor Blau wrote:

> Hi Julia,
>
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 03:06:16PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > > Is there a planned release of coccinelle that will appear in the focal
> > > suite?
> >
> > Can you use the PPA?
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/~npalix/+archive/ubuntu/coccinelle
>
> Yes, we could. But it's an extra step that all users of Ubuntu Focal
> will have to take. Note that 20.04 is the image that all users of
> GitHub Actions' "runs-on: ubuntu-latest" get, so anybody in that group
> who wants to use coccinelle will have to configure and install from the
> PPA.
>
> Is there a reason that 20.04 was skipped when preparing a release for
> the official suites?

We don't do this.  I don't know who does it.

julia