cocci.inria.fr archive mirror
* [Cocci] coccinelle depends on unmaintained pygtk
@ 2020-02-04 14:48 eamanu
From: eamanu @ 2020-02-04 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Hi everybody,

Sorry if this issues is duplicated, I am new in the mailing list
and in a very quickly searching I didn't found about this issue.

I am working on Coccinelle package on Debian and currently
exist the next bug [1].

There is any plan to port to use GObject Instrospection?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=885267

Thanks!

Cheers,
eamanu

* Re: [Cocci] coccinelle depends on unmaintained pygtk
@ 2020-02-04 14:59 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-02-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eamanu; +Cc: cocci

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, eamanu wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Sorry if this issues is duplicated, I am new in the mailing list
> and in a very quickly searching I didn't found about this issue.
>
> I am working on Coccinelle package on Debian

Thanks!

> and currently
> exist the next bug [1].
>
> There is any plan to port to use GObject Instrospection?
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=885267

I think we should just drop the code that depends on it.  It was added for
a MS thesis more than 10 years ago, and I don't think anyone has used it
since.

I will look into it.

julia

* Re: [Cocci] coccinelle depends on unmaintained pygtk
@ 2020-02-04 15:25   ` eamanu
From: eamanu @ 2020-02-04 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: cocci

Hi!

On 04/02/2020 11:59, Julia Lawall wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, eamanu wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Sorry if this issues is duplicated, I am new in the mailing list
>> and in a very quickly searching I didn't found about this issue.
>>
>> I am working on Coccinelle package on Debian
> Thanks!
>
>> and currently
>> exist the next bug [1].
>>
>> There is any plan to port to use GObject Instrospection?
>>
>> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=885267
> I think we should just drop the code that depends on it.  It was added for
> a MS thesis more than 10 years ago, and I don't think anyone has used it
> since.
>
> I will look into it.

Great, if you need help, I can help :-)

I will wait for any news. Thanks

eamanu

@ 2020-02-27  9:43     ` Nicolas Palix
From: Nicolas Palix @ 2020-02-27  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eamanu, Julia Lawall; +Cc: cocci

Hi Emmanuel,

Instead of porting to GObject directly,
can we use PyGTKCompat ?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/PyGObject/PyGTKCompat

Regards,

Le 04/02/2020 à 16:25, eamanu a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> On 04/02/2020 11:59, Julia Lawall wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, eamanu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> Sorry if this issues is duplicated, I am new in the mailing list
>>> and in a very quickly searching I didn't found about this issue.
>>>
>>> I am working on Coccinelle package on Debian
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> and currently
>>> exist the next bug [1].
>>>
>>> There is any plan to port to use GObject Instrospection?
>>>
>>> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=885267
>> I think we should just drop the code that depends on it.  It was added for
>> a MS thesis more than 10 years ago, and I don't think anyone has used it
>> since.
>>
>> I will look into it.
>
> Great, if you need help, I can help :-)
>
> I will wait for any news. Thanks
>
> eamanu
>>
>> julia

Nicolas Palix
http://lig-membres.imag.fr/palix/

* Re: [Cocci] coccinelle depends on unmaintained pygtk
@ 2020-02-27  9:45       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-02-27  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Palix; +Cc: cocci

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Nicolas Palix wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> Instead of porting to GObject directly,
> can we use PyGTKCompat ?
>
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/PyGObject/PyGTKCompat

The problem is resolved by removing the python file that relied on the
unavailable library.  I don't think that that python file is useful.

julia

@ 2020-02-27  9:56         ` Nicolas Palix
From: Nicolas Palix @ 2020-02-27  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: cocci

Le 27/02/2020 à 10:45, Julia Lawall a écrit :

> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Nicolas Palix wrote:
>
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>
>> Instead of porting to GObject directly,
>> can we use PyGTKCompat ?
>>
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/PyGObject/PyGTKCompat
>
> The problem is resolved by removing the python file that relied on the
> unavailable library.  I don't think that that python file is useful.

It looks like python/coccilib/coccigui contains the offending files:
coccigui.py, pygui.glade and pygui.gradep.
But according to vimcom.py and vimembed.py, these laters also depend of GTK.

Should the coccigui folder be entirely removed ?

@ 2020-02-27 10:04           ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-02-27 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Palix; +Cc: cocci

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Nicolas Palix wrote:

> Le 27/02/2020 à 10:45, Julia Lawall a écrit :
> >

> > On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Nicolas Palix wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Emmanuel,
> > >
> > > Instead of porting to GObject directly,
> > > can we use PyGTKCompat ?
> > >
> > > https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/PyGObject/PyGTKCompat
> >
> > The problem is resolved by removing the python file that relied on the
> > unavailable library.  I don't think that that python file is useful.
>
> It looks like python/coccilib/coccigui contains the offending files:
> coccigui.py, pygui.glade and pygui.gradep.
> But according to vimcom.py and vimembed.py, these laters also depend of GTK.
>
> Should the coccigui folder be entirely removed ?

Yes, they have already been removed on github.

julia

@ 2020-02-28 11:39             ` Emmanuel Arias
From: Emmanuel Arias @ 2020-02-28 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: cocci

Hi Nicolas,

It seems that PyGTKCompat is not in Debian, so IMHO I would not consider
that option.

The files with pygtk are:

docs/manual/cocci-python.txt:The latter depends on pygtk2, and the
dependency will not be evaluated until runtime.
python/coccilib/coccigui/coccigui.py:import pygtk
python/coccilib/coccigui/coccigui.py:pygtk.require("2.0")
python/coccilib/coccigui/pycoccimodel.py:import pygtk

So according with Julia, removing that files will not affect to coccinelle.

@ 2020-02-28 12:45               ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-02-28 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Arias; +Cc: cocci

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, Emmanuel Arias wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> It seems that PyGTKCompat is not in Debian, so IMHO I would not consider
> that option.
>
> The files with pygtk are:
>
> docs/manual/cocci-python.txt:The latter depends on pygtk2, and the
> dependency will not be evaluated until runtime.
> python/coccilib/coccigui/coccigui.py:import pygtk
> python/coccilib/coccigui/coccigui.py:pygtk.require("2.0")
> python/coccilib/coccigui/pycoccimodel.py:import pygtk
>
> So according with Julia, removing that files will not affect to coccinelle.

The files are gone in github.  We expect to make a new release within
about a week.

julia

@ 2020-02-28 15:14                 ` eamanu
From: eamanu @ 2020-02-28 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)