cocci.inria.fr archive mirror
* Re: [Cocci] Replacing the type casting
@ 2020-02-08 19:44 Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2020-02-08 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondřej Surý; +Cc: cocci

Can the following transformation variants be also helpful?

> @@
> type T;
> expression source;
> @@
>
> - REQUIRE(((T *)source) != NULL);
> + REQUIRE(source != NULL);

 REQUIRE((
-         (T*)
          source) != NULL);

> @@
> type T;
> type R;

type T;

> identifier common, rdtype;
> T *target;
> expression source;

typedef dns_rdatacommon_t;

> @@
>
>   REQUIRE(source != NULL);
>   REQUIRE((
> - (T *)
> + (dns_rdatacommon_t *)

 (
-T
+dns_rdatacommon_t
 *)

Will any constraints become relevant for the deleted data types?

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [Cocci] Replacing the type casting
@ 2020-02-08 20:09 ` Ondřej Surý
From: Ondřej Surý @ 2020-02-08 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: cocci

Hi Markus,

I ended up with:

```
@@
type T;
expression source;
@@

- REQUIRE(((T *)source) != NULL);
+ REQUIRE(source != NULL);

@@
type T;
typedef dns_rdatacommon_t;
identifier common, rdtype;
identifier source;
@@

  REQUIRE((
- (T *)source
+ (dns_rdatacommon_t *)source
  )->
- common.
  rdtype == ...);

@@
type T;
typedef dns_rdatacommon_t;
identifier common, rdclass;
identifier source;
@@

  REQUIRE((
- (T *)source
+ (dns_rdatacommon_t *)source
  )->
- common.
  rdclass == ...);
```

> On 8 Feb 2020, at 11:44, Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring@web.de> wrote:
>
> Can the following transformation variants be also helpful?
>

>> @@
>> type T;
>> expression source;
>> @@
>>
>> - REQUIRE(((T *)source) != NULL);
>> + REQUIRE(source != NULL);
>
> REQUIRE((
> -         (T*)
>          source) != NULL);

Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ll use that.

>> @@
>>
>>  REQUIRE(source != NULL);
>>  REQUIRE((
>> - (T *)
>> + (dns_rdatacommon_t *)
>
> (
> -T
> +dns_rdatacommon_t
> *)

This cannot be done, as I need to convert only .common members, as the more specific data types include dns_rdatacommon_t as a first member of the struct (a header), but they usually contain more fields, f.e.:

        REQUIRE(type == dns_rdatatype_nsec);
        REQUIRE((source) != NULL);
        REQUIRE(((dns_rdatacommon_t *)source)->rdtype == type);
        REQUIRE(((dns_rdatacommon_t *)source)->rdclass == rdclass);
        REQUIRE(((dns_rdata_nsec_t *)source)->typebits != NULL ||
                ((dns_rdata_nsec_t *)source)->len == 0);

Ondrej

* Re: [Cocci] Replacing the type casting
@ 2020-02-08 20:37   ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2020-02-08 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondřej Surý; +Cc: cocci

>> REQUIRE((
>> -         (T*)
>>          source) != NULL);
>
> Thanks, that’s helpful.

Thanks for such a view on the suggested transformation approach.

>>>  REQUIRE((
>>> - (T *)
>>> + (dns_rdatacommon_t *)
>>
>> (
>> -T
>> +dns_rdatacommon_t
>> *)
>
> This cannot be done,

I propose to take another look at how many adjustments such a type cast
will need actually.
Will the replacement of the data type be sufficient at this place
of SmPL code?

> as I need to convert only .common members, …

This concern can be added to the referenced change pattern.

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [Cocci] Replacing the type casting
@ 2020-02-08 19:06 Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2020-02-08 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall, cocci

> > I must be missing something very obvious as just removing the type works, but adding the `+ (dns_rdatacommon_t *)` line makes the rule fail.
>
> Coccinelle is not able to infer typedefs in casts.

Under which circumstances can this software situation be reconsidered?

How long will an extra metavariable specification like “typedef dns_rdatacommon_t;”
be needed for the mentioned transformation approach?

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [Cocci] Replacing the type casting
@ 2020-02-08 16:07 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2020-02-08 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondřej Surý; +Cc: cocci

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a code like this:
>
> ```
> static inline void
> freestruct_in_nsap(ARGS_FREESTRUCT) {
>         dns_rdata_in_nsap_t *nsap;
>
>         REQUIRE(((dns_rdata_in_nsap_t *)source) != NULL);
>         REQUIRE(((dns_rdata_in_nsap_t *)source)->common.rdclass == dns_rdataclass_in);
>         REQUIRE(((dns_rdata_in_nsap_t *)source)->common.rdtype == dns_rdatatype_nsap);
>
>         nsap = source;
> ```
>
> and due to various combination of a C standard requirement and enforced cppcheck rules, I can’t change it to a saner workflow for a legacy code.
>
> But I am trying to replace the specific type case with a generic structure, so it will look like this:
>
> ```
> static inline void
> freestruct_in_nsap(ARGS_FREESTRUCT) {
>         dns_rdata_in_nsap_t *nsap;
>
>         REQUIRE(source != NULL);
>         REQUIRE(((dns_rdatacommon_t *)source)->rdclass == dns_rdataclass_in);
>         REQUIRE(((dns_rdatacommon_t *)source)->rdtype == dns_rdatatype_nsap);
>
>         nsap = source;
>
> ```
>
> These are my rules currently:
>
> ```
> @@
> type T;
> expression source;
> @@
>
> - REQUIRE(((T *)source) != NULL);
> + REQUIRE(source != NULL);
>
> @@
> type T;
> type R;
> identifier common, rdtype;
> T *target;
> expression source;
> @@
>
>   REQUIRE(source != NULL);
>   REQUIRE((
> - (T *)
> + (dns_rdatacommon_t *)
>   source)->
> - common.
>   rdtype == ...);
>   <+...
>   target = source;
>   ...+>
> ```
>
> the first one works like a charm, but the second rule fails with:
>
> ```
> init_defs_builtins: /usr/local/bin/../Cellar/coccinelle/1.0.8/bin/../lib/coccinelle/standard.h
> plus: parse error:
>   File "cocci/rdata.spatch", line 21, column 22, charpos = 251
>   around = ')',
>   whole content = + (dns_rdatacommon_t *)
> ```
>
> I must be missing something very obvious as just removing the type works, but adding the `+ (dns_rdatacommon_t *)` line makes the rule fail.

Coccinelle is not able to infer typedefs in casts.  So you should add to
your list of metavariables the declaration:

typedef dns_rdatacommon_t;

julia

@ 2020-02-08 13:48 Ondřej Surý
From: Ondřej Surý @ 2020-02-08 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)