connman.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Daniel Wagner <wagi@monom.org>
To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi <michael@amarulasolutions.com>
Cc: connman@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: SIgnalPoll dbus function
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 09:05:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Michael,

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:40:00AM +0200, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to know if is there a more simple way to get the bitrate
> of the link
>
>  iw dev  wlp2s0 link
> Connected to d8:8a:dc:58:99:57 (on wlp2s0)
>     SSID: HUAWEI_B818_9952
>     freq: 5180
>     RX: 1592950584 bytes (727134 packets)
>     TX: 121351631 bytes (625159 packets)
>     signal: -56 dBm
>     rx bitrate: 585.1 MBit/s VHT-MCS 6 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
>     tx bitrate: 650.0 MBit/s VHT-MCS 7 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
>
>     bss flags:    short-preamble short-slot-time
>     dtim period:    1
>     beacon int:    100
>
> Some equivalents come with SignalPoll of dbus interface of
> wpa_supplicant. I have implemented already a way to put in the
> dictionary the frequency where we are connected because is already
> stored in the /var directory. Can this be added with a proper patch?

So one thing which we can't do is polling per default. There is the
Counter API which implements the polling feature for TX/RX
counters. Maybe it could be attached there, but the a quick look shows
it would need some surgery to make it fit, e.g. by making
__connman_service_notify accessible to the plugins as well and change
the stats arguments. Probably introducing a struct for this. Also the
notify function needs to be made a bit more smarted to report only real
updates, e.g. if you would just update the link stats in the wifi plugin
the RX/TX counters should not go backwards etc. I suggest to play with
it and send out a rough first version to see if this is going into the
right direction.

Thanks,
Daniel