connman.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* SIgnalPoll dbus function
       [not found] <CAOf5uwkzZU-vofxOZyNBDu=5emmkoewjPtAAZPhhapumKdh_gQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-09-11  8:40 ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2021-09-11  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: connman

Hi all

I would like to know if is there a more simple way to get the bitrate
of the link

 iw dev  wlp2s0 link
Connected to d8:8a:dc:58:99:57 (on wlp2s0)
    SSID: HUAWEI_B818_9952
    freq: 5180
    RX: 1592950584 bytes (727134 packets)
    TX: 121351631 bytes (625159 packets)
    signal: -56 dBm
    rx bitrate: 585.1 MBit/s VHT-MCS 6 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
    tx bitrate: 650.0 MBit/s VHT-MCS 7 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2

    bss flags:    short-preamble short-slot-time
    dtim period:    1
    beacon int:    100

Some equivalents come with SignalPoll of dbus interface of
wpa_supplicant. I have implemented already a way to put in the
dictionary the frequency where we are connected because is already
stored in the /var directory. Can this be added with a proper patch?

Michael

* Re: SIgnalPoll dbus function
@ 2021-09-13  7:05   ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2021-09-13  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi; +Cc: connman

Hi Michael,

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:40:00AM +0200, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to know if is there a more simple way to get the bitrate
> of the link
>
>  iw dev  wlp2s0 link
> Connected to d8:8a:dc:58:99:57 (on wlp2s0)
>     SSID: HUAWEI_B818_9952
>     freq: 5180
>     RX: 1592950584 bytes (727134 packets)
>     TX: 121351631 bytes (625159 packets)
>     signal: -56 dBm
>     rx bitrate: 585.1 MBit/s VHT-MCS 6 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
>     tx bitrate: 650.0 MBit/s VHT-MCS 7 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
>
>     bss flags:    short-preamble short-slot-time
>     dtim period:    1
>     beacon int:    100
>
> Some equivalents come with SignalPoll of dbus interface of
> wpa_supplicant. I have implemented already a way to put in the
> dictionary the frequency where we are connected because is already
> stored in the /var directory. Can this be added with a proper patch?

So one thing which we can't do is polling per default. There is the
Counter API which implements the polling feature for TX/RX
counters. Maybe it could be attached there, but the a quick look shows
it would need some surgery to make it fit, e.g. by making
__connman_service_notify accessible to the plugins as well and change
the stats arguments. Probably introducing a struct for this. Also the
notify function needs to be made a bit more smarted to report only real
updates, e.g. if you would just update the link stats in the wifi plugin
the RX/TX counters should not go backwards etc. I suggest to play with
it and send out a rough first version to see if this is going into the
right direction.

Thanks,
Daniel