connman.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Re: iwd + connman
       [not found]   ` <CAA=hcWSj5TFgisTA8qM=y+C7-ckEMSHXYprgAU2KkDkPsU8qMg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-06-22  6:24     ` Jupiter
From: Jupiter @ 2022-06-22  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Wagner; +Cc: connman, iwd

Hi Daniel,

Any comments about the connman working with iwd to support
EnableNetworkConfiguration=false configuration?

Let me clarify it again:

I can run connman version 1.41 with wpa_supplicant to switch between
WiFi and 4G LTE interfaces where WiFi is set to high priority, so
connman is configured well and works fine when wpa_supplicant was
used.

After replacing wpa_supplicant by iwd, connman could not detect WiFi
connection any more, you and Denis both confirmed that using
EnableNetworkConfiguration=false should let connman to take over dhcpc
and to manage WiFi connection, what could I be missing?

Is it true that someone told me for wifi connection, it does not need
connman, running iwd alone should be fine? If so, what is the
advantage to running both connman and iwd for WiFi connection?

BTW, thanks Keith for your configuration, but you are using
UseDefaultInterface=true, it is the iwd managing the wifi connection
not the connman.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Jupiter

* Re: iwd + connman
@ 2022-07-04  9:15       ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2022-07-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupiter; +Cc: connman, iwd

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 04:24:13PM +1000, Jupiter wrote:
> Any comments about the connman working with iwd to support
> EnableNetworkConfiguration=false configuration?

If I understood this correctly this feature correctly, ConnMan expect at
this point that EnableNetworkConfiguration is set to false. ConnMan
wants to do DHCP itself.

* Re: iwd + connman
@ 2022-07-04  9:26       ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2022-07-04  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupiter; +Cc: connman, iwd

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 04:24:13PM +1000, Jupiter wrote:
> After replacing wpa_supplicant by iwd, connman could not detect WiFi
> connection any more, you and Denis both confirmed that using
> EnableNetworkConfiguration=false should let connman to take over dhcpc
> and to manage WiFi connection, what could I be missing?

Can't remember/find any ConnMan logs for this problem.

> Is it true that someone told me for wifi connection, it does not need
> connman, running iwd alone should be fine? If so, what is the
> advantage to running both connman and iwd for WiFi connection?

For WiFi only setups, don't bother running ConnMan. If you want Ethernet
and WiFi setups you could consider ConnMan.

* Re: iwd + connman
       [not found]         ` <20220704092248.2qjehvz7f3f3dsii@beryllium.lan>
@ 2022-07-18  2:31           ` Jupiter
From: Jupiter @ 2022-07-18  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Wagner; +Cc: Denis Kenzior, iwd, connman

Hi Daniel,

>> But I don't think that is the cause of connman failing wifi detection,
>> how is iwd and connman communicated on
>> EnableNetworkConfiguration=false, I assume through dbus, right?
>
> No, this is not a D-Bus API. ConnMan will not set this.

Could you please elaborate how the ConnMan could figure out WiFi
connection based on there being no direct connection and communication
between the ConnMan and iwd?

> The DHCP code in ConnMan doesn't really care about this detail. ConnMan
> operates on interface index.

I set up /etc/connman/main.conf:

PreferredTechnologies = wifi,cellular
SingleConnectedTechnology = true

The ConnMan was able to switch between the WiFi and cellular
connection when I used wpa_supplicant, it is now incapable of
switching WiFi and cellular connection in iwd. If it is based on
interface index, here is my interfaces both mlan0 and wwan0 are
connected, ConnMan is not able to turn off cellular when WiFi is
connected, how does the SingleConnectedTechnology=true work with iwd?

mlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr D4:CA:6E:A4:E8:E0
          inet addr:192.168.0.101  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:12561 (12.2 KiB)  TX bytes:39957 (39.0 KiB)

wwan0     Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-0
          inet addr:10.116.236.149  P-t-P:10.116.236.149  Mask:255.255.255.252
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:61823 (60.3 KiB)  TX bytes:72540 (70.8 KiB)

> Currently, you can't use EnableNetworkConfiguration=true together with
> ConnMan. This will not work.

That was the question I have asked for months about how to make
EnableNetworkConfiguration=false work with ConnMan. Sadly if I set up
EnableNetworkConfiguration=false, ConnMan was not able to set up WiFi
network, if you believe the ConnMan is able to work with iwd
EnableNetworkConfiguration=false, could you please elaborate how to
debug it, I'll try to figure it out?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Jupiter

* Re: iwd + connman
@ 2022-08-28 15:38             ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2022-08-28 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupiter; +Cc: Denis Kenzior, iwd, connman

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 12:31:09PM +1000, Jupiter wrote:
> >> But I don't think that is the cause of connman failing wifi detection,
> >> how is iwd and connman communicated on
> >> EnableNetworkConfiguration=false, I assume through dbus, right?
> >
> > No, this is not a D-Bus API. ConnMan will not set this.
>
> Could you please elaborate how the ConnMan could figure out WiFi
> connection based on there being no direct connection and communication
> between the ConnMan and iwd?

ConnMan does lookup the device type on the interface index. But as far
my current understanding is, this is not the problem here.

> > The DHCP code in ConnMan doesn't really care about this detail. ConnMan
> > operates on interface index.
>
> I set up /etc/connman/main.conf:
>
> PreferredTechnologies = wifi,cellular
> SingleConnectedTechnology = true
>
> The ConnMan was able to switch between the WiFi and cellular
> connection when I used wpa_supplicant, it is now incapable of
> switching WiFi and cellular connection in iwd. If it is based on
> interface index, here is my interfaces both mlan0 and wwan0 are
> connected, ConnMan is not able to turn off cellular when WiFi is
> connected, how does the SingleConnectedTechnology=true work with iwd?

It's the same logic. The ConnMan core code doesn't distinguish between
the plugins.

> > Currently, you can't use EnableNetworkConfiguration=true together with
> > ConnMan. This will not work.
>
> That was the question I have asked for months about how to make
> EnableNetworkConfiguration=false work with ConnMan. Sadly if I set up
> EnableNetworkConfiguration=false, ConnMan was not able to set up WiFi
> network, if you believe the ConnMan is able to work with iwd
> EnableNetworkConfiguration=false, could you please elaborate how to
> debug it, I'll try to figure it out?

You would need to teach ConnMan that certain services don't need
DHCP. I estimate it a major effort to make this work.