cryptsetup.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Lib and Src directory
@ 2022-04-04  8:46 Surmont Jasper
From: Surmont Jasper @ 2022-04-04  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cryptsetup

Hey, newbie question here:

What is the interpretation between the src/ and lib/ directory?
For example, I see files like integrity.c or verity.c etc. Are these files also files written for the cryptsetup project,
or do these contain the same code that can be found in the linux kernel /drivers/md/dm-integrity.c for example?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I don't fully understand how much and which code is intertwined with the code written in the Linux kernel drivers section.

Thanks!

* Re: Lib and Src directory
@ 2022-04-04  9:05 ` Ondrej Kozina
From: Ondrej Kozina @ 2022-04-04  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Surmont Jasper, cryptsetup

On 04. 04. 22 10:46, Surmont Jasper wrote:
> Hey, newbie question here:
>
> What is the interpretation between the src/ and lib/ directory?

The /lib directory contains source code for libcryptsetup library.

The /src contains sources for all cryptsetup project maintained command
line utilities: cryptsetup, integritysetup and veritysetup.

> For example, I see files like integrity.c or verity.c etc. Are these files also files written for the cryptsetup project,
> or do these contain the same code that can be found in the linux kernel /drivers/md/dm-integrity.c for example?

Yes. It's internal libcryptsetup code. For example the integrity.c in
lib/integrity directory contains code for managing dm-integrity kernel
driver (DM target). The low level access to DM kernel drivers is done
via the libdevmapper library which the libcryptsetup links with.
Libdevmapper is maintained by lvm2 project.

Regards
O.