cryptsetup.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* mapping with --readonly option
@ 2022-11-05 10:15 Fourhundred Thecat
From: Fourhundred Thecat @ 2022-11-05 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cryptsetup

Hello,

if I use the --readonly option to create a mapping, and mount it as my
root partition, can the mapping later be changed during runtime to
read-write ?

Or, in other words, if mapping was created as readonly, can I be sure
that it cannot be remapped to read-write while being mounted as my root
filesystem?

Ofcourse mapping can be closed and opened again, but I am asking here
specifically for mapping that is mounted as root filesystem, which
cannot be unmounted at runtime (as far as I know)

I am interested whether I can use readonly mapping as sort of security
feature to enforce read-only filesystem?

thank you

* Re: mapping with --readonly option
@ 2022-11-06 22:15 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2022-11-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fourhundred Thecat; +Cc: cryptsetup

You probably should mount it as readonly instead. Because
that gets remounted in the typical boot-process as r/w
so it definitely is possible.

If you want protection against a malicious root, this is
probably not the way to go, I think.

Regards,
Arno

--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: mapping with --readonly option
@ 2022-11-06 22:29   ` Christoph Anton Mitterer
From: Christoph Anton Mitterer @ 2022-11-06 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Wagner, Fourhundred Thecat; +Cc: cryptsetup

On Sun, 2022-11-06 at 23:15 +0100, Arno Wagner wrote:
> You probably should mount it as readonly instead.

A -o ro filesystem mount is not necessarily actually read-only, the fs
itself may still change its own contents... e.g. journal or log tree
replays.

Cheers,
Chris.