Dear Eric, Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2016, 08:54 -0700 schrieb Eric Blake: > On 02/10/2016 08:18 AM, Joachim Breitner wrote: > > Dear dash developers, > > > > a change in 0.5.8, very likely this one > > http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/dash/dash.git/commit/?id=46d3c1a614f11f0d40a7e73376359618ff07abcd > > broke the exporting of bash shell functions via the environment. > > Not a bug. POSIX says that on shell startup, the behavior of any > inherited environment variables that do not start with a proper shell > name is undefined; and allows shells to scrub such items out of the > environment on startup.  Just because bash does not scrub them (but > instead treats them as shell function imports) does not mean dash has to > behave the same. > > That said, preserving any unusable environment variables unchanged, > rather than scrubbing them, may be slightly nicer behavior, but I'm not > sure it's worth the bloat to dash to do so. I’m not versed in reading POSIX,, so I won’t argue with that (although I could not find a reference), but let me point out 8.1 "8.1 Environment Variable Definition" of "The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7" says “Other characters may be permitted by an implementation; applications shall tolerate the presence of such names.” But it is not a big deal now, as the application suffering from this issue will likely have to work-around this (or fix this, depending on the POV) anyways. Greetings, Joachim -- Joachim “nomeata” Breitner   mail@joachim-breitner.de • https://www.joachim-breitner.de/   XMPP: nomeata@joachim-breitner.de • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F   Debian Developer: nomeata@debian.org