On 11/11/2015 06:56 PM, Kevin Korb wrote: > I am on dash version 0.5.8.2 on Gentoo Linux (USE=libedit -static). > > The echo builtin does not work as described. In the man page: Which man page? Coreutils'? Read it further: > NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually super‐ > sedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu‐ > mentation for details about the options it supports. By the way, 'echo -n' is non-portable, and POSIX says you should use 'printf' instead. http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/echo.html A string to be written to standard output. If the first operand is -n, or if any of the operands contain a character, the results are implementation-defined. > $ echo -n testing > -n testing Dash's implementation-defined behavior for -n is to treat it the same as every other string. Thus, this is not a bug in dash, at least according to POSIX. > This is causing me problems when I attempt to switch /bin/sh from bash > to dash. It's probably not the only bashism you've been relying on. You may want to try using checkbashisms (http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkbaskisms/) to help you find other portability pitfalls. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org