Hi, maybe you can enlighten me :-) I try to use dash (0.5.8-2.3) on Debian unstable for executing ./configure scripts. Since Debian builds with --disable-lineno, all ./configure scripts silently fall back to bash (I created bug report #842242 to get this fixed). Next I rebuilt the package from the (Debian) sources without --disable-lineno and installed it. Now I see error messages from dash when it comes to the do nothing operator :. $ dash -c 'test -n "a" && :' dash: 1: :: not found $ echo $? 127 $ bash -c 'test -n "a" && :' $ echo $? 0 Since this : construct is wildly used and I know that dash on other systems work with it, I wonder what is wrong here. Is there a known bug, maybe fixed on recent dash versions ? Or has this some simple reason my stupidity doesn't see ? Regards, Tim