dash.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* set -I is not required by standard, and does not match bash
@ 2021-01-04 12:22 Denys Vlasenko
From: Denys Vlasenko @ 2021-01-04 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

In dash, set -I is a short-option alias to set -o ignoreeof.

However, bash does not have such alias, it has an undocumented
set -I which switches off "invisible variables"
(I don't know what that is).

Standards do not mention any -I option.

I propose, in the interests of keeping things less disparate,
to remove set -I support from dash: make "ignoreeof" to be
only an -o long option.

* Re: set -I is not required by standard, and does not match bash
@ 2021-01-04 12:49 ` Herbert Xu
From: Herbert Xu @ 2021-01-04 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 01:22:30PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In dash, set -I is a short-option alias to set -o ignoreeof.
>
> However, bash does not have such alias, it has an undocumented
> set -I which switches off "invisible variables"
> (I don't know what that is).
>
> Standards do not mention any -I option.
>
> I propose, in the interests of keeping things less disparate,
> to remove set -I support from dash: make "ignoreeof" to be
> only an -o long option.

This option goes all the way back to BSD.  Unless they have all
removed this option I'm not going to change it.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

* Re: set -I is not required by standard, and does not match bash
@ 2021-01-04 21:19 ` Harald van Dijk
From: Harald van Dijk @ 2021-01-04 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/01/2021 12:22, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In dash, set -I is a short-option alias to set -o ignoreeof.
>
> However, bash does not have such alias, it has an undocumented
> set -I which switches off "invisible variables"
> (I don't know what that is).

bash does not have any set -I. bash *had* a set -I, but dropped it in
version 5.1, so there is no longer a compatibility issue to worry about.

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk