distributions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* OpenSSL 3.x and Ruby 3.0.y
@ 2023-05-14 18:50 Ryan Lahfa
From: Ryan Lahfa @ 2023-05-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: distributions; +Cc: hexa

Hi there,

Ruby 3.0.x decided to not support OpenSSL ≥ 3 in their tree.
Though, it seems like many services like Gitlab are still compatible
only with Ruby 3.0.x.

A solution (which I think was found out also by Fedora?) consist into
installing the OpenSSL gem version ≥ 3.

We do it by replacing the `$ruby-tree/ext/openssl` directory in this way
in NixOS: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/231899/files#diff-c1d18e0554429e0b48c20c01ef94191fa75ba3ef6e057b5b9e3c40dde0c2b64bR158-R163

FWIW, Ruby 3.0.x will be supported for the next 10 months, Ruby 3.1 do
not have this problem.

Kind regards,
--
Ryan Lahfa,
NixOS release manager for 23.05, 23.11

* Re: OpenSSL 3.x and Ruby 3.0.y
@ 2023-05-14 19:10 ` Neal Gompa
From: Neal Gompa @ 2023-05-14 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Lahfa; +Cc: distributions, hexa

On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 2:51 PM Ryan Lahfa <ryan@lahfa.xyz> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Ruby 3.0.x decided to not support OpenSSL ≥ 3 in their tree.
> Though, it seems like many services like Gitlab are still compatible
> only with Ruby 3.0.x.
>
> A solution (which I think was found out also by Fedora?) consist into
> installing the OpenSSL gem version ≥ 3.
>
> We do it by replacing the `$ruby-tree/ext/openssl` directory in this way
> in NixOS: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/231899/files#diff-c1d18e0554429e0b48c20c01ef94191fa75ba3ef6e057b5b9e3c40dde0c2b64bR158-R163
>
> FWIW, Ruby 3.0.x will be supported for the next 10 months, Ruby 3.1 do
> not have this problem.

For reference: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ruby/c/2da7a540e7714777b93c430b4f252838b555b703

We're on Ruby 3.2 now, which has this all integrated. But that's how
we did it for Ruby 3.0.

--
Neal Gompa (FAS: ngompa)