distributions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Distributions coordination lists
@ 2023-02-16  1:39 Guillem Jover
From: Guillem Jover @ 2023-02-16  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: distributions; +Cc: distributions

Hi!

I just noticed this new distributions coordination list:

  https://subspace.kernel.org/lists.linux.dev.html

Which seems to have already close to 80 participants. Although there
was already a list that seems had the exact same purpose at:

With around 280 participants. I think it would be nice to avoid
fragmentation for this kind of coordination efforts?

(In any case I've subscribed to the new list too for now.)

Thanks,
Guillem

* Re: Distributions coordination lists
@ 2023-02-16  7:06 ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2023-02-16  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillem Jover; +Cc: distributions, distributions

Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I just noticed this new distributions coordination list:
>
>   https://subspace.kernel.org/lists.linux.dev.html
>
> Which seems to have already close to 80 participants. Although there
> was already a list that seems had the exact same purpose at:

> With around 280 participants. I think it would be nice to avoid
> fragmentation for this kind of coordination efforts?

My guess is that most people forgot about it, as the list on
freedesktop.org had not much activity in nearly a decade...

Cheers,

Dan

* Re: Distributions coordination lists
@ 2023-02-16 16:16 ` Mats Wichmann
From: Mats Wichmann @ 2023-02-16 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillem Jover, distributions, distributions

On 2/15/23 18:39, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just noticed this new distributions coordination list:
>
>    https://subspace.kernel.org/lists.linux.dev.html
>
> Which seems to have already close to 80 participants. Although there
> was already a list that seems had the exact same purpose at:

> With around 280 participants. I think it would be nice to avoid
> fragmentation for this kind of coordination efforts?

The freedesktop list has been idle for many years so I'm not sure you
need to worry about duplication. I couldn't recall when I saw anything
from there, a glance at the archives shows there's been one message
since 2017 (and that was in 2018).

* Re: Distributions coordination lists
@ 2023-03-08 23:33   ` Sam James
From: Sam James @ 2023-03-08 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Čermák; +Cc: Guillem Jover, distributions, distributions

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 07:06:25 +0000
Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> wrote:

> Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just noticed this new distributions coordination list:
> >
> >   https://subspace.kernel.org/lists.linux.dev.html
> >
> > Which seems to have already close to 80 participants. Although there
> > was already a list that seems had the exact same purpose at:

> > With around 280 participants. I think it would be nice to avoid
> > fragmentation for this kind of coordination efforts?
>
> My guess is that most people forgot about it, as the list on
> freedesktop.org had not much activity in nearly a decade...

[sorry for the late response, I've been dealing with a minor
medical issue.]

Yep. When asking around about this before taking the plunge with
the new ML, nobody raised this old one, and indeed, in another
discussion, someone raised another third ML hosted by a 3rd-party
but it had even less activity & no information publicly listed
on if it's supposed to be used or what (hosted by a company).

best,
sam

* Re: Distributions coordination lists
@ 2023-03-08 23:40     ` Neal Gompa
From: Neal Gompa @ 2023-03-08 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam James
  Cc: Dan Čermák, Guillem Jover, distributions, distributions

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 6:33 PM Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 07:06:25 +0000
> Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> > Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I just noticed this new distributions coordination list:
> > >
> > >   https://subspace.kernel.org/lists.linux.dev.html
> > >
> > > Which seems to have already close to 80 participants. Although there
> > > was already a list that seems had the exact same purpose at:

> > > With around 280 participants. I think it would be nice to avoid
> > > fragmentation for this kind of coordination efforts?
> >
> > My guess is that most people forgot about it, as the list on
> > freedesktop.org had not much activity in nearly a decade...
> >

> [sorry for the late response, I've been dealing with a minor
> medical issue.]
>
> Yep. When asking around about this before taking the plunge with
> the new ML, nobody raised this old one, and indeed, in another
> discussion, someone raised another third ML hosted by a 3rd-party
> but it had even less activity & no information publicly listed
> on if it's supposed to be used or what (hosted by a company).

I prefer Mailman based mailing lists over mlmmj and majordomo based
ones, but I'll do whatever in the end, I suppose. :)