dm-crypt.saout.de archive mirror
* [dm-crypt] [DM-Verity][HELP] Unlock Verity Target during runtime
@ 2021-03-17 23:09 Aditya Prakash
From: Aditya Prakash @ 2021-03-17 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I am trying to implement DM-Verity for the rootfs. However, I am not sure
what the scope of DM Verity. I can see that given a root/sudo user, I can
unload the verity target, write to rootfs and format and load it again, is
it possible that this is normal that can be carried out using rootkits or
any privileged app?
Also, how can DM-Verity ensure that the system boots to correct rootfs if
rootfs was changed after an OTA?
Please help me to understand the actual scope of DM Verity

Thanks,
AP

* [dm-crypt] Re: [DM-Verity][HELP] Unlock Verity Target during runtime
@ 2021-03-18  3:11 ` Eric Biggers
From: Eric Biggers @ 2021-03-18  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Prakash; +Cc: dm-crypt

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 04:09:46PM -0700, Aditya Prakash wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to implement DM-Verity for the rootfs. However, I am not sure
> what the scope of DM Verity. I can see that given a root/sudo user, I can
> unload the verity target, write to rootfs and format and load it again, is
> it possible that this is normal that can be carried out using rootkits or
> any privileged app?
> Also, how can DM-Verity ensure that the system boots to correct rootfs if
> rootfs was changed after an OTA?
> Please help me to understand the actual scope of DM Verity
>
> Thanks,
> AP

dm-verity's only job is to verify the contents of a block device against a root
hash which is provided by userspace when setting up the dm-verity target.

It's up to the userspace code setting up dm-verity to provide the "correct" root
hash -- for example, by verifying that the root hash is digitally signed by a
trusted source.

Take a look at how dm-verity is used in Verified Boot in Android and Chrome OS,
for example.  There are multiple components, and dm-verity is just one of them.

- Eric