dm-crypt.saout.de archive mirror
* [dm-crypt] Help: problem with an encrypted USB drive
@ 2021-04-23 16:35 Kasperi
From: Kasperi @ 2021-04-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

[-- Attachment #1.1.1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1699 bytes --]

Hi,

First of all, I thank you for the great tool that you provide.

Now, I encountered a problem with an 512 GB USB flash drive that I
bought recently and I wonder if it is related with the device itself or
with the LUKS encryption that I put on it. I therefore seek your help. I
have read the FAQ and searched the web for similar problems and I really
do not know what I could do more to find a software fix to the problem.

There has been *no physical damage* to the drive and since I have used
it very scarcely so far, I would be really surprised, if it had worn
down already. It is a few months old and I only did occasional backups
on it.

First, the USB drive started to change its permissions to *write
protected* when I was doing file transfers. Then, I run the system
utility tool fsck to check and fix the filesystem as I suspected that
errors therein might cause the behaviour. After running fsck
unsuccessfully, the *USB drive stopped working altogether* and I cannot
do anything with it. My systems (Linux Mint / Debian) do detect the USB
drive itself (lsusb, lsblk), but the partition table seems to be gone
now. I have tried to format the drive by different methods, but any
intent gives errors and gets stuck. Disks, Gparted, mkusb, dd... but all
to no avail.

Please note that I do not need to recover the data, as they were backups
only. I want to format it and use the device again, in the case that
there is not some inherent damage to it.

My question is: Can the LUKS encryption itself cause the described
behaviour?

I can give you more details if there is still hope to find a software fix.

Kind regards,

Kasperi

[-- Attachment #1.1.1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 2088 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* [dm-crypt] Re: Help: problem with an encrypted USB drive
@ 2021-04-24 18:40 ` Peter Grandi
From: Peter Grandi @ 2021-04-24 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list Linux dm-crypt

> First, the USB drive started to change its permissions to
> *write protected* when I was doing file transfers. Then, I run
> the system utility tool fsck to check and fix the filesystem
> as I suspected that errors therein might cause the behaviour.

That is rather vague and not very useful.

> After running fsck unsuccessfully, the *USB drive stopped
> working altogether*

Most likely explanatuions: it is either defective or it has a
fake size. There are a lot of fake flash drives.

> My question is: Can the LUKS encryption itself cause the
> described behaviour?

No.

* [dm-crypt] Re: Help: problem with an encrypted USB drive
@ 2021-04-24 21:13 ` Carlos E. R.
From: Carlos E. R. @ 2021-04-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt mail list

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 758 bytes --]

On 23/04/2021 18.35, Kasperi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I thank you for the great tool that you provide.
>
> Now, I encountered a problem with an 512 GB USB flash drive that I

Is this a real SSD disk, or an USB stick?

If it is a stick, what you describe would be typical of a device that
has been written to more times than it supports and has switched to
read-only mode, and thus there is nothing to do.

Otherwise, it could be a faked "big" usb stick. As it is in R/O mode, it
is not possible to test it for actual size (it involves writing once to
its full declared size, and comparing).

I know of faked usb sticks, but not faked SSD drives.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 15.2 x86_64 at Telcontar)

* [dm-crypt] Re: Help: problem with an encrypted USB drive
@ 2021-04-25 20:25   ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2021-04-25 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 20:40:09 CEST, Peter Grandi wrote:
> > First, the USB drive started to change its permissions to
> > *write protected* when I was doing file transfers. Then, I run
> > the system utility tool fsck to check and fix the filesystem
> > as I suspected that errors therein might cause the behaviour.
>
> That is rather vague and not very useful.
>
> > After running fsck unsuccessfully, the *USB drive stopped
> > working altogether*
>
> Most likely explanatuions: it is either defective or it has a
> fake size. There are a lot of fake flash drives.
>
> > My question is: Can the LUKS encryption itself cause the
> > described behaviour?
>
> No.

I second that. LUKS has only a minor impact on the access pattern.
A disk that dies with LUKS will also die without LUKS.

Sounds very much like defective hardware and no connection to LUKS.

Regards,
Arno

--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name