dm-crypt.saout.de archive mirror
* [dm-crypt] Combining ciphers with LUKS possible?
@ 2021-06-11  8:04 Andreas Heinlein
From: Andreas Heinlein @ 2021-06-11  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hello,

I have a question regarding possible ciphers for LUKS encryption.

I came across this when trying out the TCRYPT extension for cryptsetup. It seems that cryptsetup can map TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt devices with combined ciphers, such as Serpent/AES. cryptsetup status shows 'aes-serpent-xts-plain64' as cipher in this case.

So I wondered whether this was usable for LUKS, to. But it seems I cannot create a LUKS device with '... -c aes-serpent-xts-plain64 ...' Is there any way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Andreas

* [dm-crypt] Re: Combining ciphers with LUKS possible?
@ 2021-06-11  8:20 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2021-06-11  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi Andreas,

I think this was basically the result of the sometimes
special level of paranoia that went into the TC design.
I would say there really is no reason to mistrust AES at
this time. Also remember AES gets hardware accelelration
on most platforms these days, but Serpent (for example)
does not. That makes a rather large difference.

But if you think you really need this, you can layer LUKS or
put plain dm-crypt volumes inside each other and inside
LUKS containers. May have bad performance impact beyond
the additional encryption though.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name