dmaengine.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Vinod Koul <vkoul@kernel.org>
To: Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@ti.com>
Cc: robh+dt@kernel.org, dmaengine@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, dan.j.williams@intel.com,
	devicetree@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/3] dt-bindings: dma: Add documentation for DMA domains
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 19:03:13 +0530	[thread overview]

On 13-09-19, 15:19, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> Vinod,

> >> At the end yes.
> >
> > :)
> >
> >> EDMA have dedicated crossbar
> >> sDMA have dedicated crossbar
> >
> > So the domain mapping should point to crossbar.
> >
> >> Slave devices must use the crossbar to request channel from the DMA
> >> controllers. Non slave request are directed to the controllers directly
> >> (no DT binding).
> >
> > The clients for these are different right, if so slave clients will
> > point to domain xbar and non slave will point to domain controller (to
> > make everyone use domains). Non domain get any channel ... (fallback as
> > well)
> >

> >> At minimum we would need a new property for DMA routers.
> >> dma-domain-router perhaps which is pointing to the xbar.
> >
> > Precisely!
>
> After some thinking at the end we have two main type of DMA channels:
> slave channels: Hw triggered channels
> non-slave channels: SW triggered channels w/o DMA request lines
>
> right?

yes and no

You are correct in saying this but I would like to move away from the
two concepts and generalize them a bit, it is long overdue.

So from domain point of view, we have channels (memcpy/slave) specifying
one or more domains to use or no domain (memcpy, any channel)

> Slave channels must be described in DT as we need to specify the DMA
> request number/line/trigger, whatever it is called on different platforms.

So in the cases where a specific channel/request/trigger is required, we
would be required to specify that in DT as we do currently, but more
modern controllers which uses muxes wont need this to be specified,
pointing to domain (which can be controller/xbar) would do the trick!

> non-slave channels on the other hand can be requested from any
> controllers which can execute it. Or in the scope of this series, from
> the controller which is best suited to service the device or module.

Right which takes care of your new requirement as well as older ones

> If we really want to move to similar binding structure as interrupts
> opposed to what we have atm (gpio, pwm, leds, etc uses the same
> principle), then
>
> dma-slave-controller: can point to a dma controller or dma router which
> should be used from the node it is presented inherited by it's child
> nodes for slave channels.
>
> dma-nonslave-controller: can point to a dma controller which should be
> used from the node it is presented inherited by it's child nodes for non
> slave channels.
>
> DMA routers have the phandle for the dma controller they are attached
> to, so this should be fine, I guess.
>
> Based on the topology of the SoC, these can be added in higher level in
> the tree to divert from the higher level controller selection.

Looks interesting to me and doable. But as I said earlier, lets do a bit
more generalization in concepts please

--
~Vinod