DPDK-dev Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Dmitry Kozlyuk <dmitry.kozliuk@gmail.com>
To: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
Cc: harini.ramakrishnan@microsoft.com, eilong@mellanox.com,
	pallavi.kadam@intel.com, dmitrym@microsoft.com,
	ophirmu@mellanox.com, tbashar@mellanox.com, fady@mellanox.com,
	talshn@mellanox.com, navasile@linux.microsoft.com,
	ranjit.menon@intel.com, ocardona@microsoft.com,
	jizh@microsoft.com, dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] winget: Windows package manager
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 04:01:17 +0300

On Fri, 22 May 2020 11:32:05 +0200
Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now there is an official package manager in Windows:
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-package-manager-preview/
>
> Who wants to build a DPDK package?
>
> Where the manifest should be hosted? We used to have a directory pkg/...

AFAICT from docs and GitHub, winget is not a package manager, but more like a
console client for downloading and running readily-available installers.
It does not provide a package format or package build infrastructure like RPM,
DEB, etc do. It doesn't even have a concept of dependency or an installation
script, it cannot even download an archive and extract it. What it has is a
repository with MS-approved manifests and lots of open questions (how are
these packages verified? who maintains them? what is update procedure?).

Winget repository contains no build tools for DPDK on Windows (Ninja, Clang,
MinGW-w64; it has Python for Meson, though). These are the ones we may want
manifested first.

IMO, Chocolatey is a way to go for Windows GSG, for it is mature and its
package database contains everything needed.

--
Dmitry Kozlyuk