dev.dpdk.org archive mirror
* [dpdk-dev] make doc fails
@ 2019-06-21 19:56 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-06-21 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John McNamara, Marko Kovacevic, Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Just tried make doc on current DPDK tree and it fails:

/home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:7: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
/home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:25: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
/home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:190: WARNING: undefined label: multi_process_app (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)

Not sure what the bad commit is. Also, not sure why CI didn't catch it.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] make doc fails
@ 2019-06-23 22:46 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-06-23 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: John McNamara, Marko Kovacevic, dev

21/06/2019 21:56, Stephen Hemminger:
> Just tried make doc on current DPDK tree and it fails:
>
> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:7: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:25: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:190: WARNING: undefined label: multi_process_app (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)

These are only warnings, not fatal failues.

> Not sure what the bad commit is. Also, not sure why CI didn't catch it.

It works well on my machine (with some warnings).

* Re: [dpdk-dev] make doc fails
@ 2019-06-24 14:53   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2019-06-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: John McNamara, Marko Kovacevic, dev

On 6/23/2019 11:46 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 21/06/2019 21:56, Stephen Hemminger:
>> Just tried make doc on current DPDK tree and it fails:
>>
>> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:7: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
>> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:25: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
>> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:190: WARNING: undefined label: multi_process_app (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
>

> These are only warnings, not fatal failues.
>
>> Not sure what the bad commit is. Also, not sure why CI didn't catch it.
>
> It works well on my machine (with some warnings).

The warnings are from .pdf conversion and they are there for a long time now,
although there are warnings pdf files still generated.

html files are generated by 'make doc-guides-html' and completes without
warning, which verifies the .rst file syntax.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] make doc fails
@ 2019-06-24 15:04     ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2019-06-24 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit, Thomas Monjalon, Stephen Hemminger
  Cc: John McNamara, Marko Kovacevic, dev

On 24-Jun-19 3:53 PM, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 6/23/2019 11:46 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>> 21/06/2019 21:56, Stephen Hemminger:
>>> Just tried make doc on current DPDK tree and it fails:
>>>
>>> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:7: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
>>> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:25: WARNING: undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
>>> /home/shemminger/git/dpdk/doc/guides/faq/faq.rst:190: WARNING: undefined label: multi_process_app (if the link has no caption the label must precede a section header)
>>

>> These are only warnings, not fatal failues.
>>
>>> Not sure what the bad commit is. Also, not sure why CI didn't catch it.
>>
>> It works well on my machine (with some warnings).
>

> The warnings are from .pdf conversion and they are there for a long time now,
> although there are warnings pdf files still generated.
>
> html files are generated by 'make doc-guides-html' and completes without
> warning, which verifies the .rst file syntax.

PDF's can't link to other PDF's (e.g. FAQ can't link to GSG), that's why
these warnings happen. That's normal.

Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-dev] make doc fails
@ 2019-06-24 15:27       ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-06-24 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly
  Cc: Ferruh Yigit, Thomas Monjalon, John McNamara, Marko Kovacevic, dev

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:04:15 +0100
"Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com> wrote:

> On 24-Jun-19 3:53 PM, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> > On 6/23/2019 11:46 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> >> 21/06/2019 21:56, Stephen Hemminger:

> >> These are only warnings, not fatal failues.

> >> It works well on my machine (with some warnings).
> >

> > The warnings are from .pdf conversion and they are there for a long time now,
> > although there are warnings pdf files still generated.
> >
> > html files are generated by 'make doc-guides-html' and completes without
> > warning, which verifies the .rst file syntax.
> >

> PDF's can't link to other PDF's (e.g. FAQ can't link to GSG), that's why
> these warnings happen. That's normal.

Ok thanks for the explanation

* Re: [dpdk-dev] make doc fails
@ 2019-06-24 16:09         ` Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2019-06-24 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, Burakov, Anatoly

> undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must
> precede a section header)
> undefined label: linux_gsg (if the link has no caption the label must
> precede a section header)
> undefined label: multi_process_app (if the link has no caption the label
> must precede a section header)

> it.

> > > The warnings are from .pdf conversion and they are there for a long
> time now,
> > > although there are warnings pdf files still generated.
> > >
> > > html files are generated by 'make doc-guides-html' and completes
> without
> > > warning, which verifies the .rst file syntax.
> > >

> > PDF's can't link to other PDF's (e.g. FAQ can't link to GSG), that's why
> > these warnings happen. That's normal.
> >

> Ok thanks for the explanation

Shouldn't the Makefile print a message to expect this warning just before the warning is emitted, so future confusion about this is avoided?

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards
- Morten Brørup