DPDK-dev Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>
To: "Ananyev, Konstantin" <konstantin.ananyev@intel.com>,
	"Yigit, Ferruh" <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>, dpdk-dev <dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 16/01/2020
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:17:38 +0000

Hi Konstantin,

> Hi everyone,
>

> > * next-net-crypto
> >   * Pull request sent
> >   * There is a performance concern on some ipsec-gw patches,
> >     they can go in -rc2 if the issue is solved
> >   * CPU crypto from last release may be breaking ABI, need to confirm
>
> AFAIK, there is no ABI breakage.

This is the output of validate-abi.sh.

	Change 							Effect
1 Field sym_cpu_process has been added to this type. 	              1) This field will not be initialized by old clients.
                                                                                                                   2) Size of the inclusive type has been changed.

								NOTE: this field should be accessed only from the new library functions, otherwise it may result in crash or incorrect behavior of applications.
2 Size of this type has been changed from 128 bytes to 136 bytes. 	The fields or parameters of such data type may be incorrectly initialized or accessed by old client applications.

Apart from that, IPSEC also has breakage, but that is experimental, so not an issue.

> >     and discussed dummy variable is missing, may be postponed to next release
>
> Not sure I understand last sentence, could the author explain
> what dummy variables we are talking about.

In one of the techboard meeting around 19.11 timeframe, during the discussion for approving methodology for CPU-crypto, it was proposed that in order to avoid delay, a dummy variable can be introduced in cryptodev API/ABI to avoid any ABI breakage in upcoming releases. But this was not done.