On April 30, 2021 18:00:58 "Dixit, Ashutosh" wrote: > On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:26:09 -0700, Umesh Nerlige Ramappa wrote: >> >> Looks like the engine can be dropped since all timestamps are in sync. I >> just have one more question here. The timestamp itself is 36 bits. Should >> the uapi also report the timestamp width to the user OR should I just >> return the lower 32 bits of the timestamp? Yeah, I think reporting the timestamp width is a good idea since we're reporting the period/frequency here. >> > How would exposing only the lower 32 bits of the timestamp work? > > The way to avoid exposing the width would be to expose the timestamp as a > regular 64 bit value. In the kernel engine state, have a variable for the > counter and keep on accumulating that (on each query) to full 64 bits in > spite of the 36 bit HW counter overflow. That's doesn't actually work since you can query the 64-bit timestamp value from the GPU. The way this is handled in Vulkan is that the number of timestamp bits is reported to the application as a queue property. --Jason >