On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 07:53:38AM +0000, Flavio Suligoi wrote: > > On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 09:28:03AM +0000, Flavio Suligoi wrote: > > > > On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 03:54:33PM +0200, Flavio Suligoi wrote: > > > > > The two properties: > > > > > > > > > > - max-brightness > > > > > - default brightness > > > > > > > > > > are not really required, so they can be removed from the "required" > > > > > section. > > > > > > > > Why are they not required? You need to provide an explanation. > > > > > > The "max-brightness" is not more used now in the driver (I used it in > > > the first version of the driver). > > > > If it is not used any more, what happens when someone passes an old > > devicetree to the kernel, that contains max-brightness, but not any of your > > new properties? > > This is not a problem, because the device driver has not yet been included in any kernel. > My patch for the device driver is still being analyzed by the maintainers. > Only this dt-binding yaml file is already included in the "for-backlight-next" branch > of the "backlight" kernel repository. > At the moment, this driver is used only in a i.MX8MM board produced in my company, > under my full control. No other developer is using it now. Right. This is exactly the sort of commentary that you need to provide up front, to have us spent a bunch of time going back and forth to figure out :( > > > The "default-brightness", if omitted in the DT, is managed by the > > > device driver, using a default value. This depends on the dimming mode > > used: > > > > For default-brightness, has here always been support in the driver for the > > property being omitted, or is this newly added? > > In the first version of the driver this property was a "required property", > but nobody has used this driver before, so this should be not a problem. > > What I would like is an explanation in the commit message as to why the > > revised example is more helpful than the existing (and > > must-remain-valid) one. > > As said before, no one may have ever used this device driver, > so I would leave only this new version of the example. Okay. Please improve the commit message explaining why it is okay to make these changes & send a v2. The alternative is that Lee drops the dt-binding patch & you submit a revised version of the binding alongside the next iteration of the driver. Cheers, Conor.