dri-devel.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
From: Paul Cercueil <paul@crapouillou.net>
To: "Noralf Trønnes" <noralf@tronnes.org>
Cc: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>,
	dri-devel <dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: MIPI DSI, DBI, and tinydrm drivers
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 23:33:52 +0200	[thread overview]

Le dim. 24 mai 2020 à 23:24, Noralf Trønnes <noralf@tronnes.org> a
écrit :

> Den 24.05.2020 22.42, skrev Paul Cercueil:
>>

>>  Le dim. 24 mai 2020 à 22:14, Noralf Trønnes <noralf@tronnes.org>
>> a écrit :

>>>  This will be a bridge implemented in software, are we allowed to
>>> have
>>>  software devices in the Device Tree? I though it was just allowed
>>>  describe hardware.
>>
>>  It wouldn't appear in devicetree. If the panel is connected over
>> SPI,
>>  then DBI is just the protocol it uses.
>
> How do you attach a panel to the DBI device if it doesn't appear in
> DT?

When probed from a DBI host controller, the panel's devicetree binding
would look like this:

&dbi_host {

    panel {
        compatible = "my,dbi-device";
    };
};

When probed from SPI it would appear in DT like this:

&spi {

    panel@0 {
        reg = <0>;
        compatible = "my,dbi-device-spi";
    };
};

In that case, the driver would create a SPI-DBI bridge, but that is an
implementation detail that doesn't belong in devicetree.

> Another problem is that the DBI panel uses SPI both for framebuffer
> upload and controller initialization. How shall this be handled when
> the
> panel driver needs SPI for init and the DBI bridge needs SPI for frame
> upload?

Does the panel driver need SPI for init? I don't think so. It needs to
send DBI commands over SPI, yes. Only the DBI-SPI bridge would control
the SPI device.

-Paul