Hi, On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 03:14:39PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote: > Hi, > > On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 05:30:52PM -0300, Maíra Canal wrote: > > From: Arthur Grillo > > > > Considering the current adoption of the KUnit framework, convert the > > DRM mm selftest to the KUnit API. > > > > Signed-off-by: Arthur Grillo > > Tested-by: David Gow > > Acked-by: Daniel Latypov > > Reviewed-by: Javier Martinez Canillas > > Signed-off-by: Maíra Canal > > I'm very late to the party, but I'd like to discuss that patch some more. > > Two tests (drm_test_mm_reserve, drm_test_mm_insert) in it take a super > long time to run (about 30s each on my machine). > > If we run all the DRM tests and VC4 tests, each of those two are longer > to run than all the ~300 tests combined. About 100 times longer. > > I don't think that running for so long is reasonable, and for multiple > reasons: > > - While I don't know drm_mm well, it doesn't look like any of those > tests do something that really should take this long. I'm especially > skeptical about the fact that we test each operation 8192 times by > default. > > - It makes using kunit more tedious than it should be. Like I said, on > a very capable machine, running the all the DRM and VC4 tests takes > about 50s with those two tests, ~0.4s without. > > - The corollary is that it will get in the way of people that really > want to use kunit will just remove those tests before doing so, > defeating the original intent. > > > I understand that it came from selftests initially, but I think we > should rewrite the tests entirely to have smaller, faster tests. It's > not clear to me why those tests are as complicated as they are though. > > Also, going forward we should probably put disencourage tests running > that long. Could Kunit timeout/warn after a while if a test is taking > more than X seconds to run? I'd still like to address this. We spend ~90% of the DRM kunit tests execution time executing those two tests, which doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to do. I'm fine with doing that work, but I'd still need to figure out what those tests are doing exactly. Can someone help? Maxime