driverdev-devel.linuxdriverproject.org archive mirror
* Staging status of speakup
       [not found] ` <20190316031831.GA2499@kroah.com>
@ 2019-07-06 19:08   ` Okash Khawaja
From: Okash Khawaja @ 2019-07-06 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 20:18:31 -0700
Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > port drivers, which poses various problems. This is also not
> > working for modern hardware such as PCI-based serial ports.  Also,
> > there is not a way we can communicate with USB devices.  The
> > current serial port handling code is in serialio.c in this
> > directory."
> >
> > Drivers for all external synths now use TTY to communcate with the
> > devices. Only ones still using direct communication with hardware
> > ports are internal synths: acntpc, decpc, dtlk and keypc. These are
> > typically ISA cards and generally hardware which is difficult to
> > make work. We can leave these in staging.
>
> Ok, that's fine.
>
> > 2. "Some places are currently using in_atomic() because speakup
> > functions are called in various contexts, and a couple of things
> > can't happen in these cases. Pushing work to some worker thread
> > would probably help, as was already done for the serial port
> > driving part."
> >
> > There aren't any uses of in_atomic anymore. Commit d7500135802c
> > "Staging: speakup: Move pasting into a work item" was the last one
> > that removed such uses.
>
> Great, let's remove that todo item then.
>
> > 3. "There is a duplication of the selection functions in
> > selections.c. These functions should get exported from
> > drivers/char/selection.c (clear_selection notably) and used from
> > there instead."
> >
> > This is yet to be done. I guess drivers/char/selection.c is now
> > under drivers/tty/vt/selection.c.
>
> Yes, someone should update the todo item :)
>
> > 4. "The kobjects may have to move to a more proper place in /sys.The
> > discussion on lkml resulted to putting speech synthesizers in the
> > "speech" class, and the speakup screen reader itself
> > into /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/speakup, the nasty path being
> > handled by userland tools."
> >
> > Although this makes logical sense, the change will mean changing
> > interface with userspace and hence the user space tools. I tried to
> > search the lkml discussion but couldn't find it. It will be good to
> > know your thoughts on this.
>
> I don't remember, sorry.  I can review the kobject/sysfs usage if you
> think it is "good enough" now and see if I find anything
> objectionable.
>
> > Finally there is an issue where text in output buffer sometimes gets
> > garbled on SMP systems, but we can continue working on it after the
> > driver is moved out of staging, if that's okay. Basically we need a
> > reproducer of this issue.
> >
> > In addition to above, there are likely code style issues which will
> > need to be fixed.
> >
> > We are very keen to get speakup out of staging both, for settling
> > the driver but also for getting included in distros which build
> > only the mainline drivers.
>
> That's great, I am glad to see this happen.  How about work on the
> selection thing and then I can review the kobject stuff in a few
> weeks, and then we can start moving things for 5.2?

Hi Greg,

Apologies for the delay. I de-duplicated selection code in speakup to
use code that's already in kernel (commit ids 496124e5e16e and
41f13084506a). Following items are what remain now:

1. moving kobjects location
2. fixing garbled text

I couldn't replicate garbled text but Simon (also in CC list) is
looking into it.

Can you please advise on the way forward?

Thanks,
Okash

* Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-07-07  6:57     ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-07-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jul 06, 2019@08:08:57PM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> [...]
> > > need to be fixed.
> > >
> > > We are very keen to get speakup out of staging both, for settling
> > > the driver but also for getting included in distros which build
> > > only the mainline drivers.
> >
> > That's great, I am glad to see this happen.  How about work on the
> > selection thing and then I can review the kobject stuff in a few
> > weeks, and then we can start moving things for 5.2?
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Apologies for the delay. I de-duplicated selection code in speakup to
> use code that's already in kernel (commit ids 496124e5e16e and
> 41f13084506a). Following items are what remain now:
>
> 1. moving kobjects location
> 2. fixing garbled text
>
> I couldn't replicate garbled text but Simon (also in CC list) is
> looking into it.
>
> Can you please advise on the way forward?

I don't think the "garbled text" is an issue to get this out of staging
if others do not see this.  It can be fixed like any other bug at a
later point if it is figured out.

The kobject stuff does need to be looked at.  Let me carve out some time
next week to do that and I will let you know what I see/recommend.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-07-12  8:38       ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-07-12  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okash Khawaja
  Cc: devel, Kirk Reiser, Simon Dickson, speakup, linux-kernel,
	Samuel Thibault, Christopher Brannon

On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 08:57:10AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 08:08:57PM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 20:18:31 -0700
> > Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > Ok, that's fine.

> > > Great, let's remove that todo item then.

> > > Yes, someone should update the todo item :)

> > > I don't remember, sorry.  I can review the kobject/sysfs usage if you
> > > think it is "good enough" now and see if I find anything
> > > objectionable.

> > > That's great, I am glad to see this happen.  How about work on the
> > > selection thing and then I can review the kobject stuff in a few
> > > weeks, and then we can start moving things for 5.2?
> >
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Apologies for the delay. I de-duplicated selection code in speakup to
> > use code that's already in kernel (commit ids 496124e5e16e and
> > 41f13084506a). Following items are what remain now:
> >
> > 1. moving kobjects location
> > 2. fixing garbled text
> >
> > I couldn't replicate garbled text but Simon (also in CC list) is
> > looking into it.
> >
> > Can you please advise on the way forward?
>
> I don't think the "garbled text" is an issue to get this out of staging
> if others do not see this.  It can be fixed like any other bug at a
> later point if it is figured out.
>
> The kobject stuff does need to be looked at.  Let me carve out some time
> next week to do that and I will let you know what I see/recommend.

At first glance, this might all be just fine.

But, I can't quite figure out what some files are doing.  No matter
what, you will need Documentation/ABI/ entries for the speakup code for
these sysfs files.

Can you make up a patch to create a
drivers/staging/speakup/sysfs-speakup file with the needed information?
That way it will be much easier to determine exactly what these sysfs
files do and my review can be easier, and perhaps not needed at all :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-07-12  9:23         ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2019-07-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

To readers of the linux-speakup: could you help on this so we can get
Speakup in mainline?  Neither Okash or I completely know what user
consequences the files in /sys/accessibility/speakup/ have, so could
people give brief explanations for each file (something like 3-6 lines
of explanation)?

The i18n/ files have been already documented in section 14.1 of the
spkguide.txt, so we do not need help for them.

Thanks!
Samuel

@ 2019-07-12  9:24         ` Okash Khawaja
From: Okash Khawaja @ 2019-07-12  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devel, Kirk Reiser, Simon Dickson,
	Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.,
	linux-kernel, Samuel Thibault, Christopher Brannon

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:38 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 08:57:10AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 08:08:57PM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:

> > > Hi Greg,
> > >
> > > Apologies for the delay. I de-duplicated selection code in speakup to
> > > use code that's already in kernel (commit ids 496124e5e16e and
> > > 41f13084506a). Following items are what remain now:
> > >
> > > 1. moving kobjects location
> > > 2. fixing garbled text
> > >
> > > I couldn't replicate garbled text but Simon (also in CC list) is
> > > looking into it.
> > >
> > > Can you please advise on the way forward?
> >
> > I don't think the "garbled text" is an issue to get this out of staging
> > if others do not see this.  It can be fixed like any other bug at a
> > later point if it is figured out.
> >
> > The kobject stuff does need to be looked at.  Let me carve out some time
> > next week to do that and I will let you know what I see/recommend.
>
> At first glance, this might all be just fine.
>
> But, I can't quite figure out what some files are doing.  No matter
> what, you will need Documentation/ABI/ entries for the speakup code for
> these sysfs files.
>
> Can you make up a patch to create a
> drivers/staging/speakup/sysfs-speakup file with the needed information?
> That way it will be much easier to determine exactly what these sysfs
> files do and my review can be easier, and perhaps not needed at all :)

Thanks for looking into this. I agree these descriptions will
generally be helpful for future also.

Will get back to you once it's done.

Okash

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-07-13  0:46           ` Gregory Nowak
       [not found]             ` <20190725035352.GA7717@gregn.net>
From: Gregory Nowak @ 2019-07-13  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Thibault, speakup, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Okash Khawaja,
	devel, Kirk Reiser, Simon Dickson, linux-kernel,
	Christopher Brannon

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:23:19AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> To readers of the linux-speakup: could you help on this so we can get
> Speakup in mainline?  Neither Okash or I completely know what user
> consequences the files in /sys/accessibility/speakup/ have, so could
> people give brief explanations for each file (something like 3-6 lines
> of explanation)?

I have a recollection of documenting most of this on the speakup list
the speakup mailing list archives aren't easily searchable, and I
don't have a local copy of that mail.

Kirk, doing grep with a few of the file names in
/sys/accessibility/speakup against the list's mbox file archive should
find that message if it's in fact there. If you can please find it,
and post the date when it was sent, we can provide a URL to that
thread as a starting point. If my recollection is wrong, and such a
message isn't in the archives, I'll write up what I know about.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager@EU.org

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
       [not found]                     ` <20190821222209.GA4577@gregn.net>
@ 2019-09-08  9:43                       ` Okash Khawaja
From: Okash Khawaja @ 2019-09-08  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
  Cc: devel, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Simon Dickson, linux-kernel, John Covici

Sorry, I have only now got round to working on this. It's not complete
yet but I have assimilated the feedback and converted subjective
phrases, like "I think..." into objective statements or put them in
TODO: so that someone else may verify. I have attached it to this
email.

Next step will be to convert the format to match Documentation/ABI/
requirements.

Thanks,
Okash

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 11:23 PM Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 09:39:25AM -0700, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> > Hi Greg N,
> >
> > Would like to send this as a patch as Greg K-H suggested? If not, I
> > can do that with your email in Authored-by: tag?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Okash
>
> Hi Okash and all,
> feel free to submit the patch with my email in the Authored-by:
> tag if that's OK. Thanks, and good luck on your presentation.
>
> Greg
>

> --
> web site: http://www.gregn.net
> gpg public key: http://www.gregn.net/pubkey.asc
> skype: gregn1
> If we haven't been in touch before, e-mail me before adding me to your contacts.
>
> --
> Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager@EU.org

[-- Attachment #2: speakup-sysfs.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 7107 bytes --]

attrib_bleep
Beeps the PC speaker when there is an attribute change such as
foreground or background color when using speakup review commands. One
= on, zero = off.

bell_pos
This works much like a typewriter bell. If for example 72 is echoed to
bell_pos, it will beep the PC speaker when typing on a line past character 72.

bleeps
This controls whether one hears beeps through the PC speaker when using
speakup's review commands.

bleep_time
This controls the duration of the PC speaker beeps speakup produces.
TODO: What are the units? Jiffies?

cursor_time
This controls cursor delay when using arrow keys. When a connection is very
slow, with the default setting, when moving with  the arrows, or backspacing
etc. speakup says the incorrect characters. Set this to a higher value to
adjust for the delay and better synchronisation between cursor position and
speech.

delimiters
Delimit a word from speakup.
TODO: add more info

ex_num
TODO:

key_echo
Controls if speakup speaks keys when they are typed. One = on, zero =
off or don't echo keys.

keymap
Speakup keymap remaps keys to Speakup functins. It uses a binary format. A
special program called genmap is needed to compile a textual keymap into the
binary format which is then loaded into /sys/accessibility/speakup/keymap.

no_interrupt
Controls if typing interrupts output from speakup. With no_interrupt
set to zero, typing on the keyboard will interrupt speakup if for
example the say screen command is used before the entire screen is
read. With no_interrupt set to one, if the say screen command is used,
and one then types on the keyboard, speakup will continue to say the
whole screen regardless until it finishes.

punc_all
This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
punc_level is set to four.

punc_level
Controls the level of punctuation spoken as the screen is displayed,
not reviewed. Levels range from zero no punctuation, to four, all
punctuation. One corresponds to punc_some, two
corresponds to punc_most, and three as well as four both
correspond to punc_all. Some hardware
synthesizers may have different levels each corresponding to three and four
for punc_level. Also note that if punc_level is set to zero, and
key_echo is set to one, typed punctuation is still spoken as it is
typed.

punc_most
This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
punc_level is set to two.

punc_some
This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
punc_level is set to one.

reading_punc
Almost the same as punc_level, the differences being that reading_punc controls
the level of punctuation when reviewing the screen with speakup's
screen review commands. The other difference is that reading_punc set
to three speaks punc_all, and reading_punc set to four speaks all
punctuation, including spaces.

repeats
A list of characters speakup repeats. Normally, when there are
more than three characters in a row, speakup just reads three of those
characters. For example, "......" would be read as dot, dot, dot. If a
. is added to the list of characters in repeats, "......" would be
read as dot, dot, dot, times six.

say_control
If set to one, speakup speaks shift, alt and control when those keys are
pressed. If say_control is set to zero, shift, ctrl, and alt are not
spoken when they are pressed.

say_word_ctl
TODO:

silent
TODO:

spell_delay
This controls how fast a word is spelled when
speakup's say word review command is pressed twice quickly to speak
the current word being reviewed. Zero just speaks the letters one
after another, while values one through four seem to introduce more of
a pause between the spelling of each letter by speakup.

synth
Gets or sets the synthesizer driver currently in use. Reading synth
returns the synthesizer driver currently in use. Writing synth
switches to the given synthesizer driver, provided it is either built
into the kernel, or already loaded as a module.

synth_direct
Sends whatever is written to synth_direct
directly to the speech synthesizer in use, bypassing speakup. This
could be used to make the synthesizer speak a string, or to send
control sequences to the synthesizer to change how the synthesizer
behaves.

version
Reading version returns the version of speakup, and the version of the
synthesizer driver currently in use.

Synthesizer Driver Parameters
In `/sys/accessibility/speakup` is a directory corresponding to the
synthesizer driver currently in use (E.G) `soft` for the soft
driver. This directory contains files which control the speech
synthesizer itself, as opposed to controlling the speakup screen
reader. The parameters in this directory have the
same names and functions across all supported synthesizers. The range of
values for freq, pitch, rate, and vol is
the same for all supported synthesizers,
with the given range being internally mapped by the driver to more or
less fit the range of values supported for a given parameter by the
individual synthesizer. Below is a description of values and parameters for
soft synthesizer, which is currently the most commonly used.

caps_start
This is the string that is sent to the synthesizer to cause
it to start speaking uppercase letters. For the soft synthesizer and
most others, this causes the pitch of the voice to rise above the
currently set pitch.

caps_stop
This is the string sent to the synthesizer to cause it to
stop speaking uppercase letters. In the case of the soft synthesizer
and most others, this returns the pitch of the voice down to the
currently set pitch.

delay_time
TODO:

direct
Controls if punctuation is spoken by speakup, or by the
synthesizer. For example, speakup speaks ">" as "greater", while the
espeak synthesizer used by the soft driver speaks "greater than". Zero
lets speakup speak the punctuation. One lets the synthesizer itself
speak punctuation.

freq
Gets or sets the frequency of the speech synthesizer. Range is 0-9.

full_time
TODO:

jiffy_delta
This controls how many jiffys the kernel gives to
the synthesizer. Setting this too
high can make a system unstable, or even crash it.

pitch
Gets or sets the pitch of the synthesizer. The range is 0-9.

punct
Gets or sets the amount of punctuation spoken by the synthesizer. The
range for the soft driver seems to be 0-2.
TODO: How is this related to speakup's punc_level, or reading_punc

rate
Gets or sets the rate of the synthesizer. Range is from zero slowest,
to nine fastest.

tone
Gets or sets the tone of the speech synthesizer. The range for the
soft driver seems to be 0-2. This seems to make no difference if using
espeak and the espeakup connector.
TODO: does espeakup support different tonalities?

trigger_time
Don't know.

voice
Gets or sets the voice used by the synthesizer if the synthesizer can
speak in more than one voice. The range for the soft driver is
0-7. Note that while espeak supports multiple voices, this parameter
will not set the voice when the espeakup connector is used between
speakup and espeak.

vol
Gets or sets the volume of the speech synthesizer. Range is 0-9, with
zero being the softest, and nine being the loudest.

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-09  2:54                         ` Gregory Nowak
From: Gregory Nowak @ 2019-09-09  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okash Khawaja
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, Greg Kroah-Hartman,
	Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.,
	linux-kernel, John Covici

On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 10:43:02AM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> Sorry, I have only now got round to working on this. It's not complete
> yet but I have assimilated the feedback and converted subjective
> phrases, like "I think..." into objective statements or put them in
> TODO: so that someone else may verify. I have attached it to this
> email.

I think bleeps needs a TODO, since we don't know what values it accepts, or
what difference those values make. Also, to keep things uniform, we
should replace my "don't know" for trigger_time with a TODO. Looks
good to me otherwise. Thanks.

Greg

--

@ 2019-09-14 21:08                           ` Okash Khawaja
From: Okash Khawaja @ 2019-09-14 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Nowak
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, Greg Kroah-Hartman,

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:55 AM Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 10:43:02AM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> > Sorry, I have only now got round to working on this. It's not complete
> > yet but I have assimilated the feedback and converted subjective
> > phrases, like "I think..." into objective statements or put them in
> > TODO: so that someone else may verify. I have attached it to this
> > email.
>
> I think bleeps needs a TODO, since we don't know what values it accepts, or
> what difference those values make. Also, to keep things uniform, we
> should replace my "don't know" for trigger_time with a TODO. Looks
> good to me otherwise. Thanks.

Great thanks. I have updated.

I have two questions:

1. Is it okay for these descriptions to go inside
Documentation/ABI/stable? They have been around since 2.6 (2010). Or
would we prefer Documentation/ABI/testing/?
2. We are still missing descriptions for i18n/ directory. I have added
filenames below. can someone can add description please:

What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/announcements
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO

What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/chartab
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO

What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/ctl_keys
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO

What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/function_names
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO

What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/states
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO
What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/characters
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO
What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/colors
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO
What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/formatted
KernelVersion:  2.6
Contact:        speakup@linux-speakup.org
                TODO
What:           /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/key_names

@ 2019-09-14 23:32                             ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2019-09-14 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, Gregory Nowak, Greg Kroah-Hartman,
	linux-kernel, John Covici

Hello,

Okash Khawaja, le sam. 14 sept. 2019 22:08:35 +0100, a ecrit:
> 2. We are still missing descriptions for i18n/ directory. I have added
> filenames below. can someone can add description please:

There are some descriptions in the "14.1.  Files Under the i18n
Subdirectory" section of spkguide.txt

Samuel

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-15 13:43                             ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-09-15 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okash Khawaja
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, Gregory Nowak,

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:08:35PM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:55 AM Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 10:43:02AM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> > > Sorry, I have only now got round to working on this. It's not complete
> > > yet but I have assimilated the feedback and converted subjective
> > > phrases, like "I think..." into objective statements or put them in
> > > TODO: so that someone else may verify. I have attached it to this
> > > email.
> >
> > I think bleeps needs a TODO, since we don't know what values it accepts, or
> > what difference those values make. Also, to keep things uniform, we
> > should replace my "don't know" for trigger_time with a TODO. Looks
> > good to me otherwise. Thanks.
>
> Great thanks. I have updated.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is it okay for these descriptions to go inside
> Documentation/ABI/stable? They have been around since 2.6 (2010). Or
> would we prefer Documentation/ABI/testing/?

stable is fine.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-15 18:41                               ` Okash Khawaja
From: Okash Khawaja @ 2019-09-15 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, Gregory Nowak,
	Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.,
	linux-kernel, John Covici

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 2:43 PM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:08:35PM +0100, Okash Khawaja wrote:

> > > I think bleeps needs a TODO, since we don't know what values it accepts, or
> > > what difference those values make. Also, to keep things uniform, we
> > > should replace my "don't know" for trigger_time with a TODO. Looks
> > > good to me otherwise. Thanks.
> >
> > Great thanks. I have updated.
> >
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. Is it okay for these descriptions to go inside
> > Documentation/ABI/stable? They have been around since 2.6 (2010). Or
> > would we prefer Documentation/ABI/testing/?
>
> stable is fine.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Thanks Samuel and Greg.

I have attached the descriptions. There are still some files marked
with TODO, whose descriptions are incomplete or missing.

Thanks,
Okash

[-- Attachment #2: sysfs-driver-speakup --]

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/attrib_bleep
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Beeps the PC speaker when there is an attribute change such as
		foreground or background color when using speakup review
		commands. One = on, zero = off.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/bell_pos
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This works much like a typewriter bell. If for example 72 is
		echoed to bell_pos, it will beep the PC speaker when typing on
		a line past character 72.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/bleeps
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This controls whether one hears beeps through the PC speaker
		when using speakup's review commands.
		TODO: what values does it accept?

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/bleep_time
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This controls the duration of the PC speaker beeps speakup
		produces.
		TODO: What are the units? Jiffies?

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/cursor_time
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This controls cursor delay when using arrow keys. When a
		connection is very slow, with the default setting, when moving
		with  the arrows, or backspacing etc. speakup says the incorrect
		characters. Set this to a higher value to adjust for the delay
		and better synchronisation between cursor position and speech.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/delimiters
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Delimit a word from speakup.
		TODO: add more info

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/ex_num
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		TODO:

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/key_echo
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Controls if speakup speaks keys when they are typed. One = on,
		zero = off or don't echo keys.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/keymap
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Speakup keymap remaps keys to Speakup functins. It uses a binary
		format. A special program called genmap is needed to compile a
		textual  keymap into the binary format which is then loaded into
		/sys/accessibility/speakup/keymap.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/no_interrupt
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Controls if typing interrupts output from speakup. With
		no_interrupt set to zero, typing on the keyboard will interrupt
		speakup if for example the say screen command is used before the
		entire screen  is read. With no_interrupt set to one, if the say
		screen command is used, and one then types on the keyboard,
		speakup will continue to say the whole screen regardless until
		it finishes.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_all
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
		punc_level is set to four.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_level
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Controls the level of punctuation spoken as the screen is
		displayed, not reviewed. Levels range from zero no punctuation,
		to four, all punctuation. One corresponds to punc_some, two
		corresponds to punc_most, and three as well as four both
		correspond to punc_all. Some hardware synthesizers may have
		different levels each corresponding to  three and four for
		punc_level. Also note that if punc_level is set to zero, and
		key_echo is set to one, typed punctuation is still spoken as it
		is typed.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_most
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
		punc_level is set to two.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_some
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
		punc_level is set to one.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/reading_punc
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Almost the same as punc_level, the differences being that
		reading_punc controls the level of punctuation when reviewing
		the screen with speakup's screen review commands. The other
		difference is that reading_punc set to three speaks punc_all,
		and reading_punc set to four speaks all punctuation, including
		spaces.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/repeats
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		A list of characters speakup repeats. Normally, when there are
		more than three characters in a row, speakup just reads three of
		those characters. For example, "......" would be read as dot,
		dot, dot. If a . is added to the list of characters in repeats,
		"......" would be read as dot, dot, dot, times six.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/say_control
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		If set to one, speakup speaks shift, alt and control when those
		keys are pressed. If say_control is set to zero, shift, ctrl,
		and alt are not spoken when they are pressed.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/say_word_ctl
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		TODO:

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/silent
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		TODO:

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/spell_delay
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This controls how fast a word is spelled when speakup's say word
		review command is pressed twice quickly to speak the current
		word being reviewed. Zero just speaks the letters one after
		another, while values one through four seem to introduce more of
		a pause between the spelling of each letter by speakup.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Gets or sets the synthesizer driver currently in use. Reading
		synth returns the synthesizer driver currently in use. Writing
		synth switches to the given synthesizer driver, provided it is
		either built into the kernel, or already loaded as a module.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Sends whatever is written to synth_direct
		directly to the speech synthesizer in use, bypassing speakup.
		This could be used to make the synthesizer speak a string, or to
		send control sequences to the synthesizer to change how the
		synthesizer behaves.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/version
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Reading version returns the version of speakup, and the version
		of the synthesizer driver currently in use.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/announcements
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This file contains various general announcements, most of which
		cannot be categorized.  You will find messages such as "You
		killed Speakup", "I'm alive", "leaving help", "parked",
		"unparked", and others. You will also find the names of the
		screen edges and cursor tracking modes here.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/chartab
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		TODO

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/ctl_keys
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Here, you will find names of control keys.  These are used with
		Speakup's say_control feature.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/function_names
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Here, you will find a list of names for Speakup functions.
		These are used by the help system.  For example, suppose that
		you have activated help mode, and you pressed keypad 3.  Speakup
		says: "keypad 3 is character, say next."
		The message "character, say next" names a Speakup function, and
		it comes from this function_names file.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/states
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This file contains names for key states.
		Again, these are part of the help system.  For instance, if you
		had pressed speakup + keypad 3, you would hear:
		"speakup keypad 3 is go to bottom edge."
		The speakup key is depressed, so the name of the key state is
		speakup.
		This part of the message comes from the states collection.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/characters
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Through this sys entry, Speakup gives you the ability to change
		how Speakup pronounces a given character. You could, for
		example, change how some punctuation characters are spoken. You
		can even change how Speakup will pronounce certain letters. For
		further details see '12.  Changing the Pronunciation of
		Characters' in Speakup User's Guide (file spkguide.txt in
		source).

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/colors
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		When you use the "say attributes" function, Speakup says the
		name of the foreground and background colors.  These names come
		from the i18n/colors file.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/formatted
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This group of messages contains embedded formatting codes, to
		specify the type and width of displayed data.  If you change
		these, you must preserve all of the formatting codes, and they
		must appear in the order used by the default messages.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/key_names
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Again, key_names is used by Speakup's help system.  In the
		previous example, Speakup said that you pressed "keypad 3."
		This name came from the key_names file.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/<synth-name>/
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		In `/sys/accessibility/speakup` is a directory corresponding to
		the synthesizer driver currently in use (E.G) `soft` for the
		soft driver. This directory contains files which control the
		speech synthesizer itself, as opposed to controlling the speakup
		screen reader. The parameters in this directory have the same
		names and functions across all supported synthesizers. The range
		of values for freq, pitch, rate, and vol is the same for all
		supported synthesizers, with the given range being internally
		mapped by the driver to  more or less fit the range of values
		supported for a given parameter by the individual synthesizer.
		Below is a description of values and  parameters for soft
		synthesizer, which is currently the most commonly used.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/caps_start
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This is the string that is sent to the synthesizer to cause it
		to start speaking uppercase letters. For the soft synthesizer
		and most others, this causes the pitch of the voice to rise
		above the currently set pitch.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/caps_stop
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This is the string sent to the synthesizer to cause it to stop
		speaking uppercase letters. In the case of the soft synthesizer
		and most others, this returns the pitch of the voice down to the
		currently set pitch.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/delay_time
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		TODO:

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/direct
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Controls if punctuation is spoken by speakup, or by the
		synthesizer. For example, speakup speaks ">" as "greater", while
		the espeak synthesizer used by the soft driver speaks "greater
		than". Zero lets speakup speak the punctuation. One lets the
		synthesizer itself speak punctuation.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/freq
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Gets or sets the frequency of the speech synthesizer. Range is
		0-9.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/full_time
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		TODO:

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/jiffy_delta
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		This controls how many jiffys the kernel gives to the
		synthesizer. Setting this too high can make a system unstable,
		or even crash it.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/pitch
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Gets or sets the pitch of the synthesizer. The range is 0-9.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/punct
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Gets or sets the amount of punctuation spoken by the
		synthesizer. The range for the soft driver seems to be 0-2.
		TODO: How is this related to speakup's punc_level, or
		reading_punc.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/rate
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Gets or sets the rate of the synthesizer. Range is from zero
		slowest, to nine fastest.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/tone
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Gets or sets the tone of the speech synthesizer. The range for
		the soft driver seems to be 0-2. This seems to make no
		difference if using espeak and the espeakup connector.
		TODO: does espeakup support different tonalities?

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/trigger_time
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		TODO:

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/voice
KernelVersion:	2.6
Contact:	speakup@linux-speakup.org
		Gets or sets the voice used by the synthesizer if the
		synthesizer can speak in more than one voice. The range for the
		soft driver is 0-7. Note that while espeak supports multiple
		voices, this parameter will not set the voice when the espeakup
		connector is used  between speakup and espeak.

What:		/sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/vol

@ 2019-09-16 13:47                                 ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2019-09-16 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, Gregory Nowak, Greg Kroah-Hartman,
	linux-kernel, John Covici

Okash Khawaja, le dim. 15 sept. 2019 19:41:30 +0100, a ecrit:
> I have attached the descriptions.

Attachment is missing :)

Samuel

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-16 14:11                                   ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-09-16 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Thibault, Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.,
	devel, Simon Dickson, Gregory Nowak, linux-kernel, John Covici

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 03:47:28PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Okash Khawaja, le dim. 15 sept. 2019 19:41:30 +0100, a ecrit:
> > I have attached the descriptions.
>
> Attachment is missing :)

I saw it :)

Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
with the description text starting on that same line.

thanks!

greg k-h

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-16 20:21                                   ` Gregory Nowak
From: Gregory Nowak @ 2019-09-16 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Thibault, Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman, devel, Simon Dickson, linux-kernel,
	John Covici

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 03:47:28PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Okash Khawaja, le dim. 15 sept. 2019 19:41:30 +0100, a ecrit:
> > I have attached the descriptions.
>
> Attachment is missing :)
>
> Samuel

Samuel, check the message that came to you directly, and it should be
there. The speakup list rejects attachments.

Greg

--

@ 2019-09-16 22:38                                     ` Gregory Nowak
From: Gregory Nowak @ 2019-09-16 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson,
	Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.,
	linux-kernel, John Covici, Samuel Thibault

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 04:11:00PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 03:47:28PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Okash Khawaja, le dim. 15 sept. 2019 19:41:30 +0100, a ecrit:
> > > I have attached the descriptions.
> >
> > Attachment is missing :)
>
> I saw it :)
>
> Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
> with the description text starting on that same line.
>
> thanks!
>
> greg k-h

It's attached. Hope the indentation is OK.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager@EU.org

[-- Attachment #2: sysfs-driver-speakup --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 14319 bytes --]

@ 2019-09-17  8:01                                       ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-09-17  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Nowak
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 03:38:48PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 04:11:00PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > >
> > > Attachment is missing :)
> >
> > I saw it :)
> >
> > Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
> > with the description text starting on that same line.
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> It's attached. Hope the indentation is OK.

Alignment is a bit off, you forgot a tab after "Description:"

And you have some trailing whitespace in the document :(

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-18  1:03                                         ` Gregory Nowak
From: Gregory Nowak @ 2019-09-18  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, okash.khawaja,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 10:01:18AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 03:38:48PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> > > I saw it :)
> > >
> > > Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
> > > with the description text starting on that same line.
> > >
> > > thanks!
> > >
> > > greg k-h
> >
> > It's attached. Hope the indentation is OK.
>
> Alignment is a bit off, you forgot a tab after "Description:"
>
> And you have some trailing whitespace in the document :(
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

I put in the tabs after "Description:" and did the best I could to fix
the alignment, and to find and get rid of the white space. If the
alignment is still off, or if there is still white space I missed,
could someone else please correct that? Thanks.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager@EU.org

[-- Attachment #2: sysfs-driver-speakup --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 14275 bytes --]

@ 2019-09-18  6:16                                           ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-09-18  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Nowak
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, okash.khawaja,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 06:03:53PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 10:01:18AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > > It's attached. Hope the indentation is OK.
> >
> > Alignment is a bit off, you forgot a tab after "Description:"
> >
> > And you have some trailing whitespace in the document :(
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
> >

> I put in the tabs after "Description:" and did the best I could to fix
> the alignment, and to find and get rid of the white space. If the
> alignment is still off, or if there is still white space I missed,
> could someone else please correct that? Thanks.

Extra line between each attribute (before the "What:" line) would be
nice.

Also fixing the TODO items :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-18 20:30                                             ` Gregory Nowak
From: Gregory Nowak @ 2019-09-18 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, okash.khawaja, Didier Spaier,

In a previous post above, you wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 04:11:00PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
> with the description text starting on that same line.

I understood that to mean that the description text should start on
the same line, and the blank lines after the description text should
be removed. I've put them back in. Someone more familiar with the
speakup code will have to dig into it to resolve the TODO items I
suppose.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 03:28:05PM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
> Trailing white spaces removed in attachment.
> Alignment LGTM.

Thank you. This is the copy I put the blank lines into, and am
attaching with the original file name.

Greg N

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager@EU.org

[-- Attachment #2: sysfs-driver-speakup --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 14320 bytes --]

@ 2019-09-20  7:46                                               ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2019-09-20  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Nowak
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, okash.khawaja, Didier Spaier,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 01:30:33PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > Extra line between each attribute (before the "What:" line) would be
> > nice.
>
> In a previous post above, you wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 04:11:00PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
> > with the description text starting on that same line.
>
> I understood that to mean that the description text should start on
> the same line, and the blank lines after the description text should
> be removed. I've put them back in. Someone more familiar with the
> speakup code will have to dig into it to resolve the TODO items I
> suppose.

No problem, this looks good to me.  If someone wants to turn this into a
patch adding it to the drivers/staging/speakup/ directory, I'll be glad
to take it and it will allow others to fill in the TODO entries easier.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup
@ 2019-09-20 10:18                                                 ` Okash Khawaja
From: Okash Khawaja @ 2019-09-20 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: devel, Simon Dickson, Gregory Nowak, Didier Spaier,
	Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.,
	linux-kernel, John Covici, Samuel Thibault

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:46 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 01:30:33PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > > Extra line between each attribute (before the "What:" line) would be
> > > nice.
> >
> > In a previous post above, you wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 04:11:00PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > > Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
> > > with the description text starting on that same line.
> >
> > I understood that to mean that the description text should start on
> > the same line, and the blank lines after the description text should
> > be removed. I've put them back in. Someone more familiar with the
> > speakup code will have to dig into it to resolve the TODO items I
> > suppose.
>
> No problem, this looks good to me.  If someone wants to turn this into a
> patch adding it to the drivers/staging/speakup/ directory, I'll be glad
> to take it and it will allow others to fill in the TODO entries easier.

Thank you. I'll create a patch soon.