driverdev-devel.linuxdriverproject.org archive mirror
* Re: minor bug report in staging/vc04_services/
       [not found] <CA+saATVwyungoYC2WTZf7j=kp8YXbDGJ44DOWNePiK9VeLOETQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-01-02 16:34 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-01-02 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Diop-Gonzalez; +Cc: devel, linux-rpi-kernel

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 11:24:09AM -0500, Marcelo Diop-Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi, I noticed couple minor bugs while looking around in
> drivers/staging/vc04_services/*:
>
> 1. When opening "/dev/vchiq", vchiq_debugfs_add_instance() adds a debugfs
> directory named after the tgid of the process who opened the file. But
> there will be collisions if you try opening it multiple times from the same
> process.

Odd, but shouldn't cause any problems as no code paths should care if
debugfs works or not, it's only for debugging :)

> 2. In vchiq_dump_platform_instances(), called from vchiq_read(), each
> instance's ->mark member is used to track whether it's been printed
> already, but two concurrent readers could stomp on each other (causing one
> of them to see fewer instances than actually exist), since a field in the
> vchiq_instance struct itself is being modified with no
> locking/synchronization
>
> I didn't want to send any patches out since I'm not sure if/how people
> would want to fix these, but thought I'd point them out.

Patches are always best, please feel free to submit to help resolve
these.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: minor bug report in staging/vc04_services/
@ 2020-01-02 17:11   ` Marcelo Diop-Gonzalez
From: Marcelo Diop-Gonzalez @ 2020-01-02 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: devel, linux-rpi-kernel

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 11:34 AM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 11:24:09AM -0500, Marcelo Diop-Gonzalez wrote:
> > Hi, I noticed couple minor bugs while looking around in
> > drivers/staging/vc04_services/*:
> >
> > 1. When opening "/dev/vchiq", vchiq_debugfs_add_instance() adds a debugfs
> > directory named after the tgid of the process who opened the file. But
> > there will be collisions if you try opening it multiple times from the same
> > process.
>
> Odd, but shouldn't cause any problems as no code paths should care if
> debugfs works or not, it's only for debugging :)
>
> > 2. In vchiq_dump_platform_instances(), called from vchiq_read(), each
> > instance's ->mark member is used to track whether it's been printed
> > already, but two concurrent readers could stomp on each other (causing one
> > of them to see fewer instances than actually exist), since a field in the
> > vchiq_instance struct itself is being modified with no
> > locking/synchronization
> >
> > I didn't want to send any patches out since I'm not sure if/how people
> > would want to fix these, but thought I'd point them out.
>
> Patches are always best, please feel free to submit to help resolve
> these.

sounds good!