Dwarves Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* [PATCH dwarves 00/11] Switch BTF loading and encoding to libbpf APIs
@ 2020-09-30  4:27 Andrii Nakryiko
  2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 01/11] libbpf: update to latest libbpf version Andrii Nakryiko
                   ` (10 more replies)
  0 siblings, 11 replies; 16+ messages in thread
From: Andrii Nakryiko @ 2020-09-30  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwarves; +Cc: bpf, Andrii Nakryiko

This patch set switches pahole to use libbpf-provided BTF loading and encoding
APIs. This reduces pahole's own BTF encoding code, speeds up the process,
reduces amount of RAM needed for DWARF-to-BTF conversion. Also, pahole finally
gets support to generating BTF for cross-compiled ELF binaries with different
endianness (patch #11).

Additionally, patch #6 fixes previously missed problem with invalid array
index type generation.

Patches #7-10 are speeding up DWARF-to-BTF convertion/dedup pretty
significantly, saving overall about 9 seconds out of current 27 or so.

Patch #8 revamps how per-CPU BTF variables are emitted, eliminating repeated
and expensive looping over ELF symbols table.

Patch #10 admittedly has some hacky parts to satisfy CTF use case, but its
speed ups are greatest. So I'll understand if it gets dropped, but it would be
a pity.

More details could be found in respective patches.

Andrii Nakryiko (11):
  libbpf: update to latest libbpf version
  btf_encoder: detect BTF encoding errors and exit
  dwarves: expose and maintain active debug info loader operations
  btf_loader: use libbpf to load BTF
  btf_encoder: use libbpf APIs to encode BTF type info
  btf_encoder: fix emitting __ARRAY_SIZE_TYPE__ as index range type
  btf_encoder: discard CUs after BTF encoding
  btf_encoder: revamp how per-CPU variables are encoded
  dwarf_loader: increase the size of lookup hash map
  strings: use BTF's string APIs for strings management
  btf_encoder: support cross-compiled ELF binaries with different
    endianness

 btf_encoder.c  | 361 +++++++++++++++------------
 btf_loader.c   | 244 +++++++-----------
 ctf_encoder.c  |   2 +-
 dwarf_loader.c |   2 +-
 dwarves.c      |   8 +
 lib/bpf        |   2 +-
 libbtf.c       | 661 +++++++++++++++++++++----------------------------
 libbtf.h       |  41 ++-
 libctf.c       |  14 +-
 libctf.h       |   4 +-
 pahole.c       |   9 +-
 strings.c      |  91 +++----
 strings.h      |  32 +--
 13 files changed, 653 insertions(+), 818 deletions(-)

-- 
2.24.1


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread
* Re: [PATCH dwarves 00/11] Switch BTF loading and encoding to libbpf APIs
@ 2020-10-05  3:48 Tony Ambardar
  2020-10-05 19:30 ` Andrii Nakryiko
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 16+ messages in thread
From: Tony Ambardar @ 2020-10-05  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andriin; +Cc: bpf, dwarves

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 09:27:31PM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:
> This patch set switches pahole to use libbpf-provided BTF loading and encoding
> APIs. This reduces pahole's own BTF encoding code, speeds up the process,
> reduces amount of RAM needed for DWARF-to-BTF conversion. Also, pahole finally
> gets support to generating BTF for cross-compiled ELF binaries with different
> endianness (patch #11).
>
Hello Andrii,

After a small hiccup (see below) I managed to build a modified 'pahole' and test
cross-compiling from x86_64 to mips 64/32-bit and big/little-endian
targets. Using
"bpftool btf dump file /sys/kernel/btf/vmlinux format c" succeeded on
all targets,
whereas prior to your changes running on big-endian targets would
raise an error.
(Note that the 'bpftool' used a 'libbpf' without any of your changes.)

Thanks so much for tackling these BTF endianness problems; it's been a great
help for working with embedded systems.

> Additionally, patch #6 fixes previously missed problem with invalid array
> index type generation.
>
> Patches #7-10 are speeding up DWARF-to-BTF convertion/dedup pretty
> significantly, saving overall about 9 seconds out of current 27 or so.
>
> Patch #8 revamps how per-CPU BTF variables are emitted, eliminating repeated
> and expensive looping over ELF symbols table.
>
> Patch #10 admittedly has some hacky parts to satisfy CTF use case, but its
> speed ups are greatest. So I'll understand if it gets dropped, but it would be
> a pity.
>
Possibly a case of operator error, but I had to skip this patch to
cleanly build 'pahole',
and didn't have much chance to look into the compile error:

  [  1%] Building C object CMakeFiles/bpf.dir/lib/bpf/src/ringbuf.c.o
  In file included from /home/kodidev/pahole/strings.h:9,
                   from /usr/include/string.h:432,
                   from /home/kodidev/pahole/lib/bpf/src/libbpf_common.h:12,
                   from /home/kodidev/pahole/lib/bpf/src/libbpf.h:20,
                   from /home/kodidev/pahole/lib/bpf/src/ringbuf.c:20:
  /home/kodidev/pahole/lib/bpf/src/btf.h:33:11: error: expected ‘;’
before ‘void’
    33 | LIBBPF_API void btf__free(struct btf *btf);
        |           ^~~~~
        |           ;

Kind regards,
Tony

> More details could be found in respective patches.
>
> Andrii Nakryiko (11):
>   libbpf: update to latest libbpf version
>   btf_encoder: detect BTF encoding errors and exit
>   dwarves: expose and maintain active debug info loader operations
>   btf_loader: use libbpf to load BTF
>   btf_encoder: use libbpf APIs to encode BTF type info
>   btf_encoder: fix emitting __ARRAY_SIZE_TYPE__ as index range type
>   btf_encoder: discard CUs after BTF encoding
>   btf_encoder: revamp how per-CPU variables are encoded
>   dwarf_loader: increase the size of lookup hash map
>   strings: use BTF's string APIs for strings management
>   btf_encoder: support cross-compiled ELF binaries with different
>     endianness
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 16+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 16+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-09-30  4:27 [PATCH dwarves 00/11] Switch BTF loading and encoding to libbpf APIs Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 01/11] libbpf: update to latest libbpf version Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 02/11] btf_encoder: detect BTF encoding errors and exit Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 03/11] dwarves: expose and maintain active debug info loader operations Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 04/11] btf_loader: use libbpf to load BTF Andrii Nakryiko
2020-10-08 18:06   ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
2020-10-08 19:32     ` Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 05/11] btf_encoder: use libbpf APIs to encode BTF type info Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 06/11] btf_encoder: fix emitting __ARRAY_SIZE_TYPE__ as index range type Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 07/11] btf_encoder: discard CUs after BTF encoding Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 08/11] btf_encoder: revamp how per-CPU variables are encoded Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 09/11] dwarf_loader: increase the size of lookup hash map Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 10/11] strings: use BTF's string APIs for strings management Andrii Nakryiko
2020-09-30  4:27 ` [PATCH dwarves 11/11] btf_encoder: support cross-compiled ELF binaries with different endianness Andrii Nakryiko
2020-10-05  3:48 [PATCH dwarves 00/11] Switch BTF loading and encoding to libbpf APIs Tony Ambardar
2020-10-05 19:30 ` Andrii Nakryiko

Dwarves Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/dwarves/0 dwarves/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 dwarves dwarves/ https://lore.kernel.org/dwarves \
		dwarves@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index dwarves

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.dwarves


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git