On 10/10/2019 00:53, speck for Luck, Tony wrote: > On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 12:40:45AM +0100, speck for Andrew Cooper wrote: >>> I don't know what the enabled status of HLE is on the MDS_NO, TAA parts, >>> and whether it is statically disabled with the TSX_CTRL microcode, but >>> if it isn't statically disabled then it needs to be dynamically disabled >>> by bit 0, or a 'CLFLUSH; XBEGIN ...; MOV secret' can still be used to >>> exploit TAA. >> Apologies.  That is the RTM sequence. >> >> For HLE, I meant 'CLFLUSH; XAQUIRE ...; MOV secret'. > Did we send out a review copy of the white paper for TAA yet? Not as far as I am aware.  Have I missed something? I'm still working from the ppdf from June 26th, which I seem to recall was from just after the adjustment of bit 0's behaviour away from causing #UD's. > HLE is kind of buried, but we do say: > > On processors that enumerate IA32_ARCH_CAPABILITIES[TSX_CTRL] > (bit 7)=1, HLE prefix hints are always ignored. > > Which is to say that HLE is unconditionally disabled by the > new microcode for TAA. Great.  I look forward to a paper to review. Is that a firm decision on Ronak's suggestion that HLE is going to be sunset? ~Andrew