intel-gfx.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
From: SD <sd.domrep@yahoo.com>
To: gordon.jin@intel.com
Cc: intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: Picture quality on laptop LCD with i915GM chipset
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:46:15 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

> From: Jin, Gordon <gordon.jin at intel.com>
> Subject: RE: [Intel-gfx] Picture quality on laptop LCD with i915GM chipset
> To: "SD" <sd.domrep at yahoo.com>, "intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org" <intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 6:03 AM
> SD wrote on Wednesday, May 19, 2010
> 8:32 AM:
> gmail.com>
> laptop LCD with i915GM
> lists.freedesktop.org>

> screenshot to make

> >> I do not blame anyone, I know you all want to
> help.
> >> I tried to take a picture and take a video, but
> unfortunately 30
> >> frame per second can't catch it. Everything looks
> nice.
> >> I will try to explain again. In compare with
> kernel up to 2.6.27
> >> (because I used Ubuntu, Mandriva), 2.6.33
> looks:more brighter, may
> >> be more contrast, especially white, it is
> definitely more brighter
> >> although I stated xgamma 0.75. But biggest problem
> is that colors of
> >> the picture are not solid, stable - they are
> somehow blinking or
> >> flickering. Sometime I think may be back lights of
> LCD panel works
> >> different. And after hour or two eyes start notice
> it, it is looks
> >> like colors is not constant, they always changes,
> little bit but
> >> they are "playing". It is very noticeable if I log
> into different
> >> TTY (not graphical) and just start "mc" - it
> present for eyes.
> >> It is impossible to record, sorry.
> >>
> >> Thanks for help.

> newer kernel
> decided to
> Fedora 13 shows
> (actually screen
> tried to
> Fedora 13, all of
> suse it tells
>   3), but on Fedora

> with whole
> more noticeable.
> hinting.
> to only
> laptop, and
> intel video.

> > Dear All.
> >
> > At last, I found the problem - it is new kernel 33 and
> 34, I took
> > them from Fedora.
> > I put them to my OpenSuse 11.1 (27 kernel) and boot it
> up.
> > Picture of the screen became unusable. And it is not
> Xorg with its
> > drivers, because except of the kernel everything from
> OpenSuse 11.1 -
> > it is kernel.
> > I do not know how it works with other GPU (intel or
> nvidia), but mine
> > i915GM shows awful screen.
> > I know what is wrong with picture - colors of the
> pixels. They are
> > not static, they change. Little bit, but change. It
> [...]

I am happy to say that I found source of my problems.
DRI2 module.

As long as I start Xorg with "Disable DRI2" in module section I have normal picture and I have normal smooth rotatin of the gears in "glxgears" test.
Output of the "glxgears" without dri2 module:
565 frames in 5.0 seconds = 112.932 FPS
559 frames in 5.0 seconds = 111.726 FPS
558 frames in 5.0 seconds = 111.590 FPS
554 frames in 5.0 seconds = 110.797 FPS
569 frames in 5.0 seconds = 113.742 FPS
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 6301 requests (36 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Output of TOP:
1676 vas       20   0 15784 4868 1760 R 52.6  0.3   0:03.75 glxgears
1032 root      20   0 53664  12m 7124 S 39.9  0.8   0:50.63 X

Of course there is no H/W acceleration, but no more eyes problems also.

I am happy, I can use fedora.