io-uring.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Very low write throughput on file opened with O_SYNC/O_DSYNC
@ 2020-08-17 11:46 Dmitry Shulyak
From: Dmitry Shulyak @ 2020-08-17 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: io-uring

Hi everyone,

I noticed in iotop that all writes are executed by the same thread
(io_wqe_worker-0). This is a significant problem if I am using files
with mentioned flags. Not the case with reads, requests are
multiplexed over many threads (note the different name
io_wqe_worker-1). The problem is not specific to O_SYNC, in the
general case I can get higher throughput with thread pool and regular
system calls, but specifically with O_SYNC the throughput is the same
as if I were using a single thread for writing.

The setup is always the same, ring per thread with shared workers pool
(IORING_SETUP_ATTACH_WQ), and high submission rate. Also, it is
possible to get around this performance issue by using separate worker
pools, but then I have to load balance workload between many rings for
perf gains.

I thought that it may have something to do with the IOSQE_ASYNC flag,
but setting it had no effect.

Is it expected behavior? Are there any other solutions, except
creating many rings with isolated worker pools?