On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 10:04:32AM +0200, Matias Bjørling wrote: >On 17/06/2020 19.23, Kanchan Joshi wrote: >>This patchset enables issuing zone-append using aio and io-uring direct-io interface. >> >>For aio, this introduces opcode IOCB_CMD_ZONE_APPEND. Application uses start LBA >>of the zone to issue append. On completion 'res2' field is used to return >>zone-relative offset. >> >>For io-uring, this introduces three opcodes: IORING_OP_ZONE_APPEND/APPENDV/APPENDV_FIXED. >>Since io_uring does not have aio-like res2, cqe->flags are repurposed to return zone-relative offset > >Please provide a pointers to applications that are updated and ready >to take advantage of zone append. > >I do not believe it's beneficial at this point to change the libaio >API, applications that would want to use this API, should anyway >switch to use io_uring. > >Please also note that applications and libraries that want to take >advantage of zone append, can already use the zonefs file-system, as >it will use the zone append command when applicable. AFAIK, zonefs uses append while serving synchronous I/O. And append bio is waited upon synchronously. That maybe serving some purpose I do not know currently. But it seems applications using zonefs file abstraction will get benefitted if they could use the append themselves to carry the I/O, asynchronously.