On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:38:44AM -0600, Jens Axboe wrote: >On 7/8/20 10:33 AM, Matthew Wilcox wrote: >> On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 06:08:12PM +0200, Javier González wrote: >>>> I just wanted to get clarification there, because to me it sounded like >>>> you expected Kanchan to do it, and Kanchan assuming it "was sorted". I'd >>>> consider that a prerequisite for the append series as far as io_uring is >>>> concerned, hence _someone_ needs to actually do it ;-) >> >> I don't know that it's a prerequisite in terms of the patches actually >> depend on it. I appreciate you want it first to ensure that we don't bloat >> the kiocb. > >Maybe not for the series, but for the io_uring addition it is. > >>> I believe Kanchan meant that now the trade-off we were asking to >>> clear out is sorted. >>> >>> We will send a new version shortly for the current functionality - we >>> can see what we are missing on when the uring interface is clear. >> >> I've started work on a patch series for this. Mostly just waiting for >> compilation now ... should be done in the next few hours. > >Great! Jens, Matthew - I'm sorry for creating the confusion. By "looks sorted" I meant the performance-implications and the room-for-pointer. For the latter I was thinking to go by your suggestion not to bloat the kiocb, and use io_kiocb instead. If we keep, there will be two paths to update that pointer, one using ki_complete(....,ret2) and another directly - which does not seem good. On a different note: trimming kiocb by decoupling ki_complete work looks too good to be done by me :-)