On 09/02/2020 20:04, Jens Axboe wrote: > On 2/9/20 5:18 AM, Pavel Begunkov wrote: >> On 2/8/2020 11:15 PM, Jens Axboe wrote: >>> On 2/8/20 6:28 AM, Pavel Begunkov wrote: >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> As you remember, splice(2) needs two fds, and it's a bit of a pain >>>> finding a place for the second REQ_F_FIXED_FILE flag. So, I was >>>> thinking, can we use the last (i.e. sign) bit to mark an fd as fixed? A >>>> lot of userspace programs consider any negative result of open() as an >>>> error, so it's more or less safe to reuse it. >>>> >>>> e.g. >>>> fill_sqe(fd) // is not fixed >>>> fill_sqe(buf_idx | LAST_BIT) // fixed file >>> >>> Right now we only support 1024 fixed buffers anyway, so we do have some >>> space there. If we steal a bit, it'll still allow us to expand to 32K of >>> fixed buffers in the future. >>> >>> It's a bit iffy, but like you, I don't immediately see a better way to >>> do this that doesn't include stealing an IOSQE bit or adding a special >>> splice flag for it. Might still prefer the latter, to be honest... >> >> "fixed" is clearly a per-{fd,buffer} attribute. If I'd now design it >> from the scratch, I would store fixed-resource index in the same field >> as fds and addr (but not separate @buf_index), and have per-resource >> switch-flag somewhere. And then I see 2 convenient ways: >> >> 1. encode the fixed bit into addr and fd, as supposed above. >> >> 2. Add N generic IOSQE_FIXED bits (i.e. IOSQE_FIXED_RESOURSE{1,2,...}), >> which correspond to resources (fd, buffer, etc) in order of occurrence >> in an sqe. I wouldn't expect having more than 3-4 flags. >> >> And then IORING_OP_{READ,WRITE}_FIXED would have been the same opcode as >> the corresponding non-fixed version. But backward-compatibility is a pain. > > It's always much easier looking back, hindsight is much clearer. I'd also > expand the sqe flags bits to 16 at least, but oh well. Totally agree. And I didn't meant I could have done better BTW, we can extend sqe flags into free bits at the end of sqe, would need a bit of packing/unpacking though. e.g. int flags = sqe1_flags | (sqe2_flags << 8) > I do think that for this particular case we add a SPLICE_F_FD1_FIXED and > ditto for fd2, and just have the direct splice/vmsplice syscalls reject > them as invalid. Both splice and vmsplice -EINVAL for unknown flags, > which makes this possible. Yes, I remember that from the splice thread. > That seems cleaner to me than trying to shoe-horn this information into > the sqe itself, and it can easily be done as a prep patch to adding > splice support. > -- Pavel Begunkov