io-uring.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>
To: Pavel Begunkov <asml.silence@gmail.com>,
	Victor Stewart <v@nametag.social>,
	io-uring <io-uring@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: io_uring_prep_timeout_update on linked timeouts
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:40:09 -0600	[thread overview]

On 8/28/21 3:38 PM, Pavel Begunkov wrote:
> On 8/28/21 2:43 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:

>>> We don't keep linked timeouts in ->timeout_list, so it's not
>>> supported and has never been. Should be doable, but we need
>>> to be careful synchronising with the link's head.
>>
>> Yeah shoot you are right, I guess that explains the ENOENT. Would be
>> nice to add, though. Synchronization should not be that different from
>> dealing with regular timeouts.
>
> _Not tested_, but something like below should do. will get it
> done properly later, but even better if we already have a test
> case. Victor?

FWIW, I wrote a simple test case for it, and it seemed to work fine.
Nothing fancy, just a piped read that would never finish with a linked
timeout (1s), submit, then submit a ltimeout update that changes it to
2s instead. Test runs and update completes first with res == 0 as
expected, and 2s later the ltimeout completes with -EALREADY (because
the piped read went async) and the piped read gets canceled.

That seems to be as expected, and didn't trigger anything odd.

--
Jens Axboe